Give Me Beta

spiderman

I'm on a road trip south, Utah and Yosemite, but I need some info on where some cool places to climb are? When I say cool, I mean somewhere I won't have ball sweat dripping down my leg and all over my sticky rubber as I try to make a crux move.

Yosemite might be too hot and I'll probably end up in Tuolumne while climbing in that area.

Red rocks, Indian Creek, Moab, and J-tree will be too hot, no way I could go to these places.

[Cool][big Drink]

Is City of Rocks, Maple, or American Fork in the shade and cool? How about the Needles, Ca? [big Drink]

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Moab isn't too bad as long as you plan routes with the sun aspect in mind. I did Castleton Tower once in late June, once in May. I can't remember which route is better on warm days Kor-Ingall's or the North Chimney, but you might want to check it out.

maple shouldn't be too bad, there is a good majority of the routes are in tight canyons and have good shade. although, it is heavily forrested and can get buggy. if you climb super hard you shouldn't have a problem. little cottonwood and big cottonwood would also be options in the slc area. the temps there would prob be 5-10 degrees cooler than in slc due to the elevation. have a good time.

You can chase shade in City of Rocks, but if you don't catch it, it'll probably be REALLY hot. Take some sunscreen. You can do the same thing at Maple, and there's a lot of rock that'll be shady at any given time of the day. There's always American Fork too - plenty of shade there, if you pick the time right.

quote:

Originally posted by spiderman:

Yosemite might be too hot and I'll probably end up in Tuolumne while climbing in that area.

I am curious about this statement as I may be heading down to the Valley at the end of June. I just looked at the forecast for YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK for this week and it says highs in the high 60's all week. That doesn't sound too hot. Are the forecasts wrong or misleading? Or is it really not that bad down there?

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

quote:

Originally posted by spiderman:

I am curious about this statement as I may be heading down to the Valley at the end of June. I just looked at the forecast for YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK for this week and it says highs in the high 60's all week. That doesn't sound too hot. Are the forecasts wrong or misleading? Or is it really not that bad down there?

I was in the valley last week and on Wednesday it was 87 and Thursday even hotter. We climbed a lot of south facing climbs so you are baking in the sun from 7am-8:30pm, which makes it seem hotter. 60's seem a little cool for right now, I would expect the mid to upper 70's.

yeah, if i wear you guys i wouldn't even go to the valley....i mean for reals!!!!

the whole is it too hot thing is a waste of breath.....certainly in the desert sw it will be too hot most of the time.....yes you can find shade but it is still too damn hot...you will need a minimum of 1.5 gallons a day in the desert sw. great place to, the rest of the year....

now the valley is great 24/7/365

yes it does get hot. but with elevation, correct cliff aspect, beer and a nice swim/nap in the heat of the day, you can get all the climbing you possibly want to do done.

i think toulome is still kind snowy, but probably will melt fast........

have fun and be safe

erik

Utah cool climbing areas:

Stone Garden and Rose Lake in the Unitas (around 8-9,000')

Ferguson Canyon is shady and right out of Holliday (part of the SLC metropolitan area)

There's some climbing high in the Henry Mountains.

There's climbing at 10,000' near Brian Head ski resort. Great Mtn biking, too.

There's climbing in the shade in Big Cottonwood canyon (can't remember the name of the crag, but it's climbing on quartzite).

Mill Creek Canyon in the La Sals.

Various and many canyons: Maple Canyon, Santaquin Canyon, American Fork, Logan canyon, Ogden canyon, some stuff in the shade in Little Cottonwood, Bells Canyon.

Lone Pine cirque, Causey resevoir, bouldering at Red Lake.

To name a few. That enough for ya?

City of Rocks is great right now. I was there 3 weeks ago, had a blast with outstanding weather (actually a little cool in the mornings) and no crowds.

Ditto on the points made above, you can chase the sun all day long and it will definaltely be getting hotter.

Make sure you have at least 1 60m rope