osprey ceres 70

thelawgoddess

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the ceres 50 that I use as a summit pack. I can look up with a helmet on and not have it hit the pack, it has a lot of places to stash stuff (crampons, shovel, ice axe, etc). This can be a problem while bushwacking though.

I ski with it and find it really comfortable. The pack has three basic diameters depending on how you connect the straps that cross from one side to the other. Then you can fine tune to keep your gear spread out close to your back. You probably have to see this to understand.

Hmm...well, I'm kind of a fan of small packs. I just figure it forces me to pack light and small. I did our 4 day inspiration-forbidden traverse in a khamsin 38.

I guess I was just curious cause I can imagine doing much skiing with such a large pack. I guess you were thinking more of approach traverses to climbing objectives huh?

I really like my seratus icefall. I think it's a bit smaller than you wanted tho. At only $149 canadian it's hard to beat on price!

I have this orange pack and use it a lot for what you're talking about. The contoured geometry makes it seem smaller than it is, but it fits great for climbing and skiing. Like most other Ospreys, the shovel/axe/gearloops etc... organzation is awesome. It does have an offshore look and feel to it, I was initially weary of the durability of the seams/materials but so good so far. It has tiny carbon (i think) struts that I think are as much to keep the form of the pack as they are for distributing weight. That said, it carries a load pretty well. Reasonably priced - The best pack ever? No...but I would still recommend it

The what pack? Oh that? Yeah, I have that pack. laugh.gif

I really like it. It was the only pack besides the Bora that fit me really well. I got it because it was lighter (and cheaper). The shovel pouch is very convenient. Like 2morehours mentioned, the organisation is nice. It had all the gear loops and pockets I need. (1 for axe, and 2 for tools)

I only have two gripes. There's no side access, but that's a personal thing. Also, the sleeping pad loop at the bottom is REALLY small. I can barely fit the Z-rest in it.

As for compressibility, I rarely use anywhere near the full 70 L; usually 50-60 L. It compresses really well. You can straight-jacket the pack if you have a small load.