Creepy and cool

fenderfour

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chilling. And No Iain, she knows what she is doing.

I was thinking about that old man she met who survived even as others succumbed to radiation sickness. It is known that some people have more of an enzyme called superoxide dismutase in their bodies. It destroys free radicals that are created by radiation and chemical processes. Perhaps this man is one of them.

Psst, hey comrade, wanna buy a hot TV? For you, we make spashel deal!

"When the town siren went off on Sunday morning, mass panic ensued. With the police evacuting along with everyone else, banks and even jewelry stores went relatively unnoticed, but looters emptied this shop out in minutes. The police began shooting looters in May, when radioactive TV sets began to appear in the pawn shops of Kiev. "

i read an article about how european wildlife --woodland creatures and such-- are thriving in the evacuated area cause of no hunting pressure. silver lining!

Same can be said of hanford.

"Radiation, yes indeed! You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-boxed do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense! Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year. They ought to have 'em too. " - J. Frank Parnell

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

aint yakima downstream? how do you like them apples?

Have you read this book? On the Beach, by Neville Shute. It is probably the most powerful novel I have ever read. I read it five years ago, but I still think about it from time to time.

I think I saw parts of the movie several years back - in that vein, I have read Alas, Babylon, and Warday.

First published in 1957, On The Beach has to be one of the first post-nuclear-holocaust novels. It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't say how well it still stands up, but it certainly helped spawn a genre. Hmmm, maybe time for a re-read.

Oh, and Fenderfour, thanks for the link, that is a great site, creepy AND cool for sure. thumbs_up.gif

That was pretty interesting, fenderfour. thumbs_up.gif

Most intense for me:

"This is the highest building in town. On the day of disaster, many people gathered on this roof to see the beautiful shining cloud above the Atomic Power Plant. It was the last thing many of them ever saw."

image19.3.JPG

"The day after the accident, this place on the bridge provided a good view of the gaping crack in the nuclear containment vessel that was ruptured by the explosion. Many curious people came here to have a look and were bathed in a flood of deadly x-rays emanating directly from the glowing."

image23.2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...