Theft

ilookeddown

Theft seems to be problem lately. I have been hit 4 times in the last year. The first 2 times they didn’t get much. A few months ago they got climbing gear which I was stupid enough to leave in my car. Of these 3 incidents I am sure the thieves were just looking for anything they could take and I’m not sure they knew what they got when they got my gear.

The last theft was the most disturbing. I was at vantage at the lower walls on 3/27. I had parked down in the lower pull out. It was 8:30 in the morning and the second car there. As I was walking up the approach trial I looked back at my car. I saw a black Civic, pull up sit there awhile, and then leave. I thought it was strange and but figured if they did try and break in they would see there was nothing and just leave. We climbed until around 1:00pm and decided to call it a day because of very high winds that weren’t letting up. When I got to the car the window was smashed and nothing taken. I had forgotten about my sunglasses and a pair of Marmot gloves that were sitting near the gearshift that was not touched. Seems they tried to get the cheep stereo without any luck.

As we pulled out I noticed a maroon Toyota truck with 3 people sitting in the cab driving up and down the road. They did not seem to look like climbers. I followed them for a little way until they just stopped in the middle of the road and just sat there. I decided to go around them and leave. When I did they turned around and went back to the lower lot.

The reason I am posting this is to encourage people to keep an eye out for one another. I will not be parking in the lower pull out anymore. It is just too isolated and doesn’t see as much traffic. It just too bad that we don’t have the freedom to park our car or leave gear at the bottom of a climb without worrying if our stuff will be there when we return.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sensing the makings of a great TR!!

Perhaps arm ourselves with clubs and pepper spray and a vid camera...we all head off climbing then circle back and wait...

Dont forget the bottle of fish emultion to pour on to the subdued thief and into his bleeding wounds!

Anyone for a fun "climbing" weekend?

We could use walkie talkies and everything! the_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gif

I'm sensing the makings of a great TR!!

Perhaps arm ourselves with clubs and pepper spray and a vid camera...we all head off climbing then circle back and wait...

Dont forget the bottle of fish emultion to pour on to the subdued thief and into his bleeding wounds!

Anyone for a fun "climbing" weekend?

We could use walkie talkies and everything! the_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gif

secret climber spy operations COOL thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I was thinking a .308 and a little ice chest full of cool drinks and treats. Hike on up to a good vantage point, say 100 yards out...and hunker down.

Just have yourself an enjoyable sitdown.

Read, eat, just enjoing the day.

When the crackheads show up, have pity, as they are sick.You can't kill the poor bastards,

just put one thru their engine block and call 911.

(This is the part where it helps to aready be a law enforcement officer)

IMHO, taking the "proper" route to thwart criminals, especially "petty" criminals such as they seem to be viewed by those in power is good, but until peeps start "biting" back then and only then I believe the criminals will begin to take notice.

I can believe I am saying this but; at this point "crime does pay" and I am just about over being tolerant to a subculture that has little respect for others rights.

I am not a violent person, in fact most will agree I am one of the most patient people in the world. BUT I am devious and fed up, as we should ALL be.

I vote we all get a little more proactive, look peeps in the eyes, stop and ask strange folks (non climber looking) how they are doing and can we help them? The more they know we are aware of them, the less comfort they will have.

Take licenses, pictures, wave, linger, and let em know were watching.

AND perhaps have us a little western justice evils3d.gifboxing_smiley.gif

IMHO, taking the "proper" route to thwart criminals, especially "petty" criminals such as they seem to be viewed by those in power is good, but until peeps start "biting" back then and only then I believe the criminals will begin to take notice.

I can believe I am saying this but; at this point "crime does pay" and I am just about over being tolerant to a subculture that has little respect for others rights.

I am not a violent person, in fact most will agree I am one of the most patient people in the world. BUT I am devious and fed up, as we should ALL be.

I vote we all get a little more proactive, look peeps in the eyes, stop and ask strange folks (non climber looking) how they are doing and can we help them? The more they know we are aware of them, the less comfort they will have.

Take licenses, pictures, wave, linger, and let em know were watching.

AND perhaps have us a little western justice evils3d.gifboxing_smiley.gif

this is a realy good idea thumbs_up.gif

Just fyi,...

buy me beer,I'll sit in the bushes and beat the living shit out of the cranksters that try to steal anything from your parked car.Im too fat to climb with most of you but I do love getting outdoors.

Muffy is not so small as she could not anchor herself to something and take yer fall... fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif but I must say the whole beating someone senslesss in a g string thing sounds very entertaining grin.gif

We pay the user fees for our "right" to park and use the outdoor areas but there is NO protection from Johnny Law or Jr. Ranger.

By the way all that tough gun talk is easy. Its the pulling down on the guy that takes some thought and then what? Do some time? Better have some wounds or powder burns to show you were defending yourself. PLUS, I doubt many of you could even hit what you see thru the sights. (AND don't respond if you really can hit what you see cause I wasn't talking to you. If you can't hit anything don't respond either cause I'll tell ya to fuck the hell off.) rockband.gif

I LOOOOVVVE caffiiiineeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sisu_suomi

We pay the user fees for our "right" to park and use the outdoor areas but there is NO protection from Johnny Law or Jr. Ranger.

By the way all that tough gun talk is easy. Its the pulling down on the guy that takes some thought and then what? Do some time? Better have some wounds or powder burns to show you were defending yourself. PLUS, I doubt many of you could even hit what you see thru the sights. (AND don't respond if you really can hit what you see cause I wasn't talking to you. I you can't hit anything don't respond either cause I'll tell ya to fuck the hell off.) rockband.gif

Well I for one wasnt assuming a "toughguy" stance, most of us arent fortunate enough to live in Alaska like you where the "Men are proud, the women are good looking and the children are above average".

We have to contend with attempting to pacify ourselves with the illusion fairness, justice, and the ability to observe the un-observable.

Ad Rem Adsum "To the purpose I am present" cheeburga_ron.gif

By the way all that tough gun talk is easy. Its the pulling down on the guy that takes some thought and then what? Do some time? Better have some wounds or powder burns to show you were defending yourself. PLUS, I doubt many of you could even hit what you see thru the sights. (AND don't respond if you really can hit what you see cause I wasn't talking to you. I you can't hit anything don't respond either cause I'll tell ya to fuck the hell off.) rockband.gif

Well I for one wasnt assuming a "toughguy" stance, most of us arent fortunate enough to live in Alaska like you where the "Men are proud, the women are good looking and the children are above average".

We have to contend with attempting to pacify ourselves with the illusion fairness, justice, and the ability to observe the un-observable.

Ad Rem Adsum "To the purpose I am present" cheeburga_ron.gif

Oh boo hoo you hurt my one feeling. the_finger.gifmoon.gifsmileysex5.gifthumbs_down.gifcry.gif