Climbing And Sense of Accomplishment (Heavy Duty Filosofikl Rambling, Help!)

Dru

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

What I remember most from last year is doing Standing Wave, the Snowy Owl, being on top of Grant in mid-September when the planes started flying again and the air was filled with jet trails, and nearly falling off the Apron. Also climbing Rock On by headlamp and getting up at 11Pm to go and fail on Gunsight. And doing the KingSwing on Scarface.

And the Subaru Alpinism road trip and not backing off Louis when Fern wanted to, and consequently running out to the car at midnight with no headlamp so they wouldnt lock us in.

[ 06-05-2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing to discuss. The reason exists only in the here and now. I was there only then. Now I have only words to fragment a knowledge that becomes more obscure with every sentence.....................................................

Quick. Somebody flush!

Really, I don't play the #%&$(& sport, but I did a long time ago. But in GOLF, you don't remember every shot (especially when you suck and most are bad). But it's that sweet 7 iron on the 16th that landed 4 feet from the cup that makes you think it was a great round even though you shot 109! The comparison is, we are PASSIONATE about climbing and that's all that matters and we DO think about our next climb because it is mysterious until it's over. Life is about persuit of your passions and the MYSTERY makes it attractive....so we continue to climb, have sex, drive fast, party down and feel ALIVE! It's not that complicated really.

quote:

And the Subaru Alpinism road trip and not backing off Louis when Fern wanted to, and consequently running out to the car at midnight with no headlamp so they wouldnt lock us in.

didn't want to back-off, if I'd wanted to back off we woulda backed-off eh. [Wazzup] ... or maybe I just have a selective memory [geek]

I almost never really get a sense of accomplishment out of climbing anything, whether bold or mundane. There have been a few moments of 'Oh yeah! Yay me' but I get those more often from skiing than climbing. But I still like to climb because it's fun, even if it doesn't make me feel like an awesome person. [big Drink]

Howabout "after Fern suggested that we were gonna get screwed by how slowly were were going and endure an unplanned bivi? When it was after noon and we were on pitch 3 or thereabouts of a 15 pitch route and the rock was loose and Dru had forgot his helmet as well as his headlamp?"

Instead of "fern sugested we bail" [Roll Eyes]

quote:

devophotoSmall.jpg

now that is obscene. [Eek!] i would expect something like that from crazy bob or trask....but not you drul....what would the quenn say??? [laf]

too many more things like that and this thread is gone!!!! [Mad]

Before this thread completely dissolves into a galley of eighties electronic disco bands . . . Yeah, I'd agree with the sentiment of needing to move beyond the sense of accomplishment, but more in the sense of egotism. I know I used to operate on a continual scale of measuring up, and still do, but have really recently tried to appreciate the little crap.

Having failed now for two weekends in a row on nasty approaches to the same damn Peak XXXX, I now see the need to find different ways of evaluation. Either that or I'm gona have to become an alcoholic . . . You really can't find much happiness in a square kilometre of slide alder [big Drink]

It's the curse/joy of mountpaineering; guaranteed outcomes have become lame for me.

That gunsite was Fred and Ivan. I was at Squamish area playing with my new Ushba and Bosch.

the north face of gunsight is crap, and the east face melts out too much. maybe in november if we get another fall like 2000.

Dru, There is no way around it. The longer you play this game and the harder you play it will determine how long you're likely to live. That, lad, is the nature of the game. It's hard, but it's fair. "Death is a debt which nature is due that all of us pay... and so will you." Dennis

Biggest climbing accomplishment last year: don't think I had any, but if I was out there, I was having fun doing the climbing and the socializing, getting some fresh air, and enjoying the level of focus and commitment that climbing requires.

Biggest accomplisment last year: A lot of people saw or even bought art I made, and it made them happy and made their lives better.....At my day job, we made some good or even maybe great theatre, and people were happier for having seen it.

At the risk of getting flamed here, I enjoy climbing, I do think it is a selfish pursuit at its core. It doesn't give me the pleasure to climb that it does to do some other things I do because of this. It's still fun though.

To me, the sense of accomplishment in climbing is usually a result of overcoming my own doubts, or especially fear. There's something special about getting to a mental state where you can lock out or step beyond anxiety, and achieve a serious objective seemingly in motor control with good style. I find it doesn't happen very often, but when it does, the sense of accomplishment lasts for years.

GB