double bowline?

Alyosha

Someone mentioned a "double bowline" (apparently abbreviated DBBB) in another thread. Dr. Flash Amazing had even posted a link, but the link was broken. frown.gif

Would someone please post a link/picture of the "DBBB" that isn't broken? Alternatively, if you think you can explain in text how to tie the "DBBB" to someone who knows how to tie a regular bowline and a bowline-on-a-bight, that'd work too.

I googled for "DBBB bowline" and found nothing besides this thread. So, I googled for "double bowline" , and the most promising-looking thing I found was this:

double bowline page

But I thought double bowline, as shown on that page was weaker than the figure-eight (because the rope makes a sharper bend)? Or is the "DBBB" the "Water Bowline" or the "Zeppelin Loop"?

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the figure eight and double bowline are essentially the same strength. that is they weaken a rope to about the same extent (like arond to 75% of original strength). the single bowline will weaken a rope to about 60% of original strength.

you will find many different knots labeled bowline. just like how the 'bowline-on-a-bight' you know is probably a french bowline. the link you gave works for me to describe a 'double bowline'.

Curiously, Climbing seems to have removed this extremely handy Tech Tip from their website. thumbs_down.gif

Fortunately for you, the intrepid Dr. Flash Amazing has braved the vicissitudes of the interweb to bring you the goods, apparently pirated by someone in China.

And now, for your edification, "the goods":

208.gif

The "a, b, c, d, e" on the diagram is the order in which you should tighten the loops on the knot to get it properly dressed. This knot rocks, by the way, and hasn't broken yet! thumbs_up.gif

I think bowlines may be the most confusing section of the knot worlds nomencalture... like lummox said.

This is what I would calll a double bowline:

double_bowline.gif

that looks like a french bowline. some climbers call it a bowline on a bight though it really isnt. the bowline on a bight would have two strands making the 'rabbits hole'. the seascouts f-ed it up. there is even nomenclature for which way the rabbit goes around the tree. cantfocus.gif

it is kina funny that the coast guard tests on shit like bowlines but they are hardly ever used on a boat. the really bitchin bends are so weird to tie when under pressure of time and bad weather thats when the bowline comes out: weakest link. yelrotflmao.gifthumbs_up.gif

I always thought this was a double bowline too. At any rate, I like it cause it makes a nice seat to sit in and also a loop to go around your waist so you can't fall out when you need to rescue somebody or something.

i have been toled by wrongheaded people that this is a double bowline too (and a bowline bend):

BowlineBend.jpg

this is about the weakest way to join two ropes and i also been told it is wrong. a perpetuated myth. the real non-weak way to do it is to make the rabbit hole with one rope and use the other rope end as the rabbit. then do the opposite to finish it. then it is one of the strongest ways to join two ropes.

bowline craziness in the middle of the night. rolleyes.gifwazzup.gifwave.gif

you mean a surgeon's knot?

aarrggh! my head hurts. i thought a surgeons knot was a lot like a granny but with another twist.

anyway. check out the middle 'bend' on the right:

knotname13.jpg

way strong way to join two ropes. i seen it called 'double bowline'. i would never use it climbing cuz the knot could roll.