Rainier this weekend? (10th/11th)

Chad_A

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've done 5 routes on rainer including fuhrer finger. i have a partner now for gibraltar ledge this w/e, but that's more technical and probably will require the use of pickets, ice tool and ice axe. how much experience do you have? and are you comfortable with something like that?

jcclimber: yeah, I'd be up for the task at hand. I had a gentleman email me, and as it stands right now, we're going to head up on Saturday. I'm pretty comfortable with throwing in pickets, and the such. I've climbed WI3/4 (lead), so I'm fine with the tools, and the screws as well. I don't know if we'll do the Finger as of yet; I just want to climb something. I have a trip planned in May for LR, and in June for Sunset Ridge, so I know I'll be heading back, sooner or later fruit.gif

Double_E: Sure! I don't see why not. I don't know for sure what route we'll do yet, but then again, I have a funny feeling that the weather forecast isn't going to hold. Just a feeling. But, if we do the Fuhrer Finger, or something like the Nisqually Icefall, I doubt that we'll stay at Muir. Still, the more the merrier, and I always like to meet new climbers!

i've done 5 routes on rainer including fuhrer finger. i have a partner now for gibraltar ledge this w/e, but that's more technical and probably will require the use of pickets, ice tool and ice axe. how much experience do you have? and are you comfortable with something like that?

I did Gib Ledges last weekend 2-3rd and snow conditions were perfect. We didn't need to protect the exit chute and did't need to use a third tool... in fact our steps might still be there when you get there. Good luck!! wave.gif

doubleE: my partner and i will be at paradise sat 9am to register and head up to muir. your welcome to join us. you'll either see my blue jeep or (don't know his car). my email i_mtnclimb@yahoo.com cell 206.849.8736

vw4ever: i hope to hook up with your grp at paradise and hear about your plan. take my info & keep me in mind for lib ridge as well.

Hmmm ... well I am trying to think back right now. I remember thinking the snow cover looked a bit thin, but I was really looking at the FFinger and Thumb.

Check the following pic:

119PDR_0233-med.JPG

You can see the headwall in the pic. Several rock bands visible. May be typical for the route - I've never been on it. Seems like it would be better earlier in the season with more coverage. Hope that helps.

bigdrink.gif

Edited by Winter

Thanks to you both for the photos. Yeah, the visible rock bands are very typical for the route, and the amount of snow cover right now looks fine. I've done it twice in May and the rock bands were trivially easy to pass. In fact, I think only on the highest band did we actually touch rock. Found easy snow gullies through the lower ones. If the avy conditions are good, the biggest hazard with that route is that band of seracs up on the left side that look like they're waiting to sweep the lower part of the route!