Got blisters?

rockrat16

Yeah, the duct tape works better than any athletic, or medical tape because it stays on your foot for a few days. When I'm breaking in the boots, I'll tape up the feet in the usual places BEFORE the climb and have never gotten a blister when I've done that. The Invernos are unusual in that they are chafing my shins. I'll be taping my shins quite well next time I wear them. Otherwise they are way more comfortable than I ever thought plastics would be.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second Skin works really well, and if there is a hotspot in any plastic part, you can hit it with a heat gun, and round out the offending rubbing bit with something roundish, like a stone.

Don't forget the natural process, which involves letting blisters form into callouses. I'm having a hard time NOT picking at loose skin, which will soon form up for the summer!

Oh, and preventative application of 2nd skin and duct tape will get the "normal" foot far.

Shin bash and shin chafing? I recall this as a problem since the first plastic boots came out, with Koflach and Asolo.

I didn't realize this problem existed so much with Invernos as experienced by Payaso, Jedi, and mentioned by Iain. I've got a wide foot, and still have not found for me a better or more comfortable-fitting plastic boot than my Invernos, which I regularly use for Glacier Peak-type approaches in late summer (I don't always approach alpine in plastics). The trick for me is that the inner plastic boot fit my foot snugly such that if there is movement in my boot, it's the inner liner moving against the outer plastic shell. I carefully try to have just the right thickness of socks: when I first bought the boots I used one thinner pair, now that the foam liner is getting packed out I have to wear a liner sock and at least a medium-thick outer pair. I'm lucky that my feet don't sweat inordinately.

Back to shin-bash. My wife, who is also a figure skater, taught me how to tie my boots (yes, better than my mom did), somewhat along the lines of what Eric is saying. Between each set of hooks, cross the laces over each other making an "x" at mid-tongue (at least 1x between each pair of hooks, and then 2x in the critical spot where the boot goes up from the flatter instep to the more vertical ankle--hope you can follow me). This bit of friction helps hold the laces more snug. As I'm tying the laces moving up--above the critical point I mention where at least your last 2 sets of hooks/eyelets are--I tie the laces more loosely so the top of the boot has more room to flex for the shin. And on approaches with the similar Scarpa plastic tele boots, I'll avoid buckling at all the upper ankle of the boot. I've hiked in on miles of dry trail in my T-Races without problems. I dunno, maybe Scarpas were made for my feet.

Also, another trick when bringing your laces around each hook is to bring the lace around the top, first, then wrap it down around the hook--I've even seen some people cinch the lace around the hook and back under the lace before they bring it back over toward the middle of the tongue.

Essentially, I try to keep the laces tight and snug below that critical point to keep the heel from sliding up, and then I tie around the upper eyes more loosely to maximize the amount of flex around the upper ankle and avoid shin bash. If shin bash is a serious problem, the "X-pattern" can also be done to some extent between eyelets of your inner boot, but you have to prelace this and it's a bit of a hassle.

I've witnessed, and even helped some of, a few hundred mountaineering students over the past few years--shin bash is a problem that seems to affect at least 10% of our classes, and women generally more than men. The down side of shin-bash is that once your shin bones are bruised, it often takes a whole season before you can recover from it. This lacing set-up, however, seems to alleviate much of it, but like others have said, number one, fit is the key.

Good thread, enough words from me. I especially liked the suggestion of nylon knee-highs, makes sense, but why not go all the way and get full-length panty hose? Somebody needs to try it and write a TR...

Here's to happy feet [big Drink] , pindude

Blister & Bash advice from a competitive adult figure skater:

BungaPads as recommended by IcyPeak are wonderful & many athletes use them. IcyPeak suggested the mesh sleeve that fits over the lower leg. The sleeves are lined with the cushioning "gel". I know a number of skaters who use the sleeves. It works for them but I found even the mild pressure from the elastic mesh decreased circulation to my feet. My feet kept going numb & freezing. Not especially serious at the rink, but a potential disaster on a climb. [Eek!] I suspect tolerance of the sleeves is highly individual.

You might also consider the BungaPads alone. The pads come in a number of different configurations, including just for toes. "Sheets" are also available that you can then cut to your own preferences.

I don't need BungaPads for my plastic climbing boots -- but certainly depend on them for my triple-thickness top-of-the-line leather figure skating boots, which are similar to a good leather hiking boot. You can place the BungaPad directly on the skin, then put on a pair of socks to hold 'em in place. If desired, you can sprinkle a little baby powder on the pads periodically if they get a little too "sticky". (No smart remarks, guys!)

Pricey? Yes!! But I've had my BungaPads for over 8 years & they remain as good as new. They provide superior cushioning that you simply can't get from foam make-up pads, Second Skin, etc.

Here's the link:

http://www.bungapads.com/absolute_athletics.html

As for shin bash, my dear husband tried to explain lacing boots. Unfortunately, even I had a difficult time understanding his explanation. [Confused] It's simple to demonstate, but harder to describe. I hope this will add clarity:

At the ankle, where the lace holes change to hooks, take the laces up *over* the top of the first/bottom hook (rather than lacing from *under* the hook, as we were all taught to do). By placing the laces the opposite direction (going from the top around the hook, then coming out the bottom...then repeating the same technique with each hook all the way to the top) you are able to lay down more lace over the tongue. This is what forms the distinct "x" pidude described.

One more trick to this technique: at the first/bottom hook, go around a 2nd time, so there is a double thickness of lace at the ankle. This permits you to snug up the ankle so there is no real movement at that point. Yet, because the ankle is so well snugged in, you can tie/hook the rest of the laces quite loosely, if desired. This helps keep your feet warm as circulation in the lower leg is unimpeded.

Because women have different hip angulation compared to men, these 2 lacing tricks seem to be particularly useful in preventing shin bash in women. Severe cases of shin bash can cause a nasty case of periosteal hematoma. PH can keep you from wearing high-topped boots for months until the outer bone <periosteum> damage heals. Take it from someone who knows! [Eek!]

Hope this helps.

If this isn't clear, please let me know.

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

i do not lace the upper 2 eyelets on the ankle portion of the boot. works miracles!!!!

I got some blisters this weekend, so today I tried this method to give my feet a rest, and got the most humungous and multi-layered blister I've ever, well, I think I could rent this one blister out as a 'roomy basement studio apartment.' Holy $#1+!!!

PS. I take back everything I said in my previous post. I used all of my tried-and-true methods as stated above before resorting to the "untied" method, and these blisters rival any I've ever had...and I was pretty confident that my feet were pretty toughened up prior to this weekend. They had callouses all over them, and now, well they're just a pile of meat on the end of my legs!

[ 07-07-2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

To protect blisters the three layer system is the only one that really works.

1..cover blister with cut out moleskin, round hole cut where blister is.

2.. cover this with climbing cotton tape

3.. cover this with duck tape overlaping climbers tape on edges.

Step #3 lets it slid in boot and keeps it from rubbing loose

Cotton socks have shown in studies to be better against blisters. I switch to fleece at camp and hike in cotton. Only use white cotton socks the dye getting into blisters is bad news.

PS. Denny, I've met my share of socially retarded climbers, and you have GOT to be an avatar....nice troll anyway!

And don't give me that old line about looking you up in the phone book---there is no listing for Dennis Harmon in Wenatchee or anywhere nearby!

REAL REAL mountain hardmen bring several pairs of feet and use the correct pair depending on conditions. I usually wear my approach feet for hiking in and switch to my technical feet for the route. If you can only afford one pair the MEC Tech Feet are the way to go.

Real smartre little fartres are willing to admit, after logging 60 miles or so on a new pair of boots, that they may have gone a little too stiff on the boot choice this time. If Dave Page can't help (and he can't on stiffness), then they buck up and visit their local retailer to get a nice shiny new pair of Zamberlains, like smarty should have done in the first place. Ah, live and learn. [geek]

Anybody in the market for a nice, almost broken in pair of Merrell GTs, Women's size 9?