Got blisters?

rockrat16

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've suffered with easy blistering for years. My feet sweat heavily, and refuse to form callous, even after extended training hikes and climbs. If I don't change socks every few hours, I may even get 'trench foot' (painful skin breakdown with severe 'prune foot', like standing in bathwater for a few hours)! Thousands of dollars spent in the highest quality boots, insoles, tapes, etc. didn't help. I've now discovered something that's really helped out a lot. I still get squishy feet, but blistering has been rare, and much more superficial than the previous nasty, deep, blood blisters. They're called Bunga Pads (www.bungapads.com, I think), and no, I don't work for them or know them personally. They were invented for hockey, figure, and speed skaters, but work great for climbing and hiking. They are a polymer gelpad, bonded to an elastic sleeve that fits over the problem areas of your feet or toes. They make many different sizes and shapes, and aren't priced too badly. Eventually, the pad will delaminate from the sleeve, but they should last you at least a season or 2. They've really made me enjoy tele skiing a lot more. Last thing I can think of trying is to get Botox (butulinum toxin)injections to the skin of your feet. It will kill off sweat gland activity for 4 to 6 months at a time, but costs a fortune, and not covered by insurance, of course. Think I'll hold off on that one! Good luck.

-David

People without this problem just don't understand. The skin on my feet is soft as a baby's butt, and sweats heavily. No anti-perspirant can touch it (at least it's not smelly, just wet!). I've tried big boots, small boots, wide boots, etc, not much difference. Plastic boots with a more pronounced rocker to the sole do help prevent heel slip when hiking, and prolong the time until blisters form. Very soft/flexible boots also do the same thing, but aren't adequate for steeper ice. The pads really do help, but, to the inconvenience of others I climb with, I also still have to change my socks 2 or 3 times per day, to keep things dry and prevent skin breakdown. We all have our crosses to bear I guess, and, as disabilities go, this is a pretty minor one, so I can't complain too much. I just hang the socks off my pack to dry as I go. A climber who works at Black Diamond and has the same problem let me know about BungaPads.

-David

I'VE QUIT the myth OF USING 2 PAIRS OF sox and most of the other crap.

dave parker showed me how to tie my shoes 2 winters ago and i have never had a foot problem since. and my boots for the 1st couple years used to make my heels into hamburger...one time so bad that i walked barefoot for a couple miles after we bailed cuz my feet were so messed up.

i do not lace the upper 2 eyelets on the ankle portion of the boot. works miracles!!!!

i wear tennis shoes unless i absolutly have too.....i can even get crampons on on them...it hurts though....but i am getting some new micro/tech boots from my roomate pretty quick and they should be awesome!!

i say try everything and then try nothing..sometimes it worx better

erik, i believe your mom probably taught you how to tie yer shoes. I don't know what you're talking about.

Dr. Scholl blister pads come in flat blue box and they are oval, very sticky, second skin substance. These can be used as preventative or even after blister has formed. They have stayed on my feet for up to 3 days. If they're still on, keep it on. Healing takes place underneath. Follow directions for best results.

The empty blue box makes a great joint case!

I had a problem with really bad blisters on the approach to Glacier Peak a few years ago. Plastic boots, warm day, heavy pack...

After the trip I talked to an endurance runner friend about how she deals with blisters. She said that she only gets them when she has some form of foot fungus and recommended I use Lotrimin. Sounded weird, but I did it and it helped to dry the skin out and the blisters healed quickly and didn't hurt after a day. I keep a small tube in my first aid kit.

For prevention I use Compeed pads (a band aid product) on the spots that are prone to rubbing. I also changed the way I walk in my plastics. Flat footed like EddieE mentioned.

Liner sopcks do prevent blisters. Sometimes. The worst thing for blisters is a pair of boots that dont flex with your foot (not broken in). So the more socks you wear the more padding you got... sorta like a double boot. Try buying your boots a size too large and wearing 6 pairs of socks.....

And if you ever seen someone with real trench foot you would not call sweaty foot after 1 day, trench foiot. With real trench foot you cant walk at all for like 3 months and your foot is swollen up like it got attacked by a swarm of lustful wasps... buddy got that on baffin doing a wall and had to stay in bed with elevated feet for 2 months.

you need a one way moisture vent in your boots i guess. not a vbl but a vrl (varpour removal liner)

I think you are confusing 'trench foot' with what my people call 'jungle rot'. It's from bathing in your own foot-sweat, and causes the look you describe. I got it once and had a hell of a time getting rid of it, cortisone cream and sandals for like two weeks. Miserable.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

I think you are confusing 'trench foot' with what my people call 'jungle rot'. It's from bathing in your own foot-sweat, and causes the look you describe. I got it once and had a hell of a time getting rid of it, cortisone cream and sandals for like two weeks. Miserable.

"My people" you mean like from Venus or what?

I get bathtub feet from hiking for 14 hrs in plastic boots but it takes like an hour of wearing sandals and it goes away.

I do a lot of ultra running. I learned to pre-tape the normally hot spots of my feet prior to running or climbing. For example of typical alpine ice route I normally blister on big toe and balls of feet from kicking steps or crampons. I tape these areas prior to climbing using second skin with elasticon tape over it.

Since I learned these tips I have cut blisters by 95%. There is a lot of great information on foot care available on the Badwater 135 Ultra website. I think footcare information is contained within the information catagory, look around you will find it.

There is great book out there Foot Care by Jon Vonhoff. This is great resource for adventure racers, ultra runners and climbers.

Hope this helps

I haven't had a blister in years, not since I learned two important things...

1. Boot needs to be a good fit. You would think this is a no-brainer but I used to try to get away with a cheap, GI Joe's or Walmart special. Buy the quality with good padding.

2. One pair of socks, one pair of my wifes knee-high stockings. Blisters not caused by bruising are usually caused by friction. Nylons stay tight to your foot, but are slick and let the sock slide where it needs to. Yes, I get some strange looks from the rest of the guys when I'm checking for runs in my stockings, but after the hike and I'm the only one with-out a single blister I don't hear too many remarks.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

Dr. Scholl blister pads come in flat blue box and they are oval, very sticky, second skin substance. These can be used as preventative or even after blister has formed. They have stayed on my feet for up to 3 days. If they're still on, keep it on. Healing takes place underneath. Follow directions for best results.

The empty blue box makes a great joint case!

I saw these the other day, thought I'd give them a try. Stuck 'em on my heels the night before for good measure, being impressed by the "don't try to remove them for 3 days instructions." At the end of a half day in mountain boots, I found one up on my ankle bone and the other drifted off to some other location. I didn't get blisters though... [Roll Eyes]

My Scarpa Inverno's gave me some pretty bad shin bash for years. Shins usually scabbed up and tenden after a trip.

I had custom liners made for my Alpha's before my trip to the Ruth. Hoping this would eliminate the shin bash. It did not. My boney, narrow shins are just not made for walking in boots. Bleeding and tender in 2 days. I took a small piece of cotton gause and athletic tape and taped both shins. Day three, I had no problems. I did wrap the tape around my leg. The hair has still not fully grown back but it got me through the trip. I guess what I am saying is that if you can find something to stick to your sweaty feet and distribute the friction, you should be good to go.

Jedi

Jedi, I just got a pair of Inverno's and I really love them but the shin bash thing is a bit too much. I don't get any blisters in the usual places. If I could find a solution for the shin bash, they would be perfect. If I keep wrapping my leg in duct tape I might as well just shave my legs. What was the solution you were describing in detail?

Rockrat #16,

You could always try climbing barefoot (after all, Rockrat #1 doesn't wear boots). Then when your feet get calloused enough they'll be so tough not even a needle could penetrate them.

Or maybe a foot massage before every climb would help. At least that would be a good excuse for getting one from your beau for free no questions asked. Afterall, it behooves him too since he won't have to wait for you while you apply the various salves at switchback #156. [Wink]

---Paul

Payaso,

Since I had already worn the skin off my shins, I knew I had to bandage them and where.

I shaved a ring around my legs knowing it would be ripped off anyway when i took the tape off. The small piece of gause went on the raw spot (shin bash area) and I put 2 wraps with athletic tape around each leg to hold the gause in place. The roll of tape was 2" wide. The key is, too not wrap you leg too tight. Or have the wrap loose where you will end up wth folds in the tape. No problems the rest of the trip.

The Intuition custom liners rule! I still can't believe how light and warm they are. I had AMH in Anchorage fit them for me. Their boot guy (Grahm) was great and worked on the liners and Alpha's for 9 hours to get them right. Really had to bump the toe area out for my Fred Flinstone feet. No charge for that. Great shop!

The liners are flat as a pair of socks. He puts them in the oven at 250 degrees. then puts them on your feet and you stick your foot in the shell. When they cool, the come out Shaped like the inside of the shell and the inside of the liner is contoured to the shape of my foot with 1 pair of Bridgedale's on. No lacing, just pop them on. No insole for me either which is unusal but the Alpha shell has an arch. No heal lift. Feel like a mid weight hiker I will never put those big clunky Inverno's on again.

Jedi

Cheap quick answer for heals and toes: Duct tape.

I shave the top of my feet from hair (becuase it hurts taking duct tape off). Then I tape my foot/heal in such a way that the duct tape does not move. This is done BEFORE the climb. I have found no other tape (I have tried a lot, and Dr. Scholl stuff) that will stay on for 3-4 days at a time, or on a winter outing in leather boots. You can not tape too tight.

Why duct tape? Becuase I carry duct tape with me in the backcountry for all sorts of uses and I do not have to depend on other "special" items.