poison ivy

erik

i hate that shit. i got some this weekend. son of a bitch. yoi wanna talk about me being in a bad mood now!!!

after all these years it has caught up with me.

least it is localized.

i hate poison ivy....

s.o.b.

anyone got an old remedy that their grandma uses??

[ 06-04-2002, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: erik ]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have already washed myself and most of my gear.

the puss in the blisters does not carry the oils, which cause the rash. so i can i scratch to my hearts content and i have to use my hands when i piss.... [Wink]

Take an over the counter antihistamine (sp?) to control the itch and use calamine lotion (the pink stuff) to dry the blisters out. I used to have a hard yellow bar of soap to wash with to clean the oils off, but once you have it, you have it.

Murphy's law would suggest in the next couple of days you will meet a really hot chick. She will be attracted to you, but at the same time, disgusted by your oozing blisters.

Try Rhus Tox. This is a homeopathic remdey that you can probaably find at any health food store where naturual medichine is sold. I always carry it with me when I go into the mountains. Just beware that nicotine or alchol will interfere with the remedy. Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by gregm:

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Have Amber smother you with Hippie Oil
[laf]

And why would a nice girl like me want to get involved with a homosexual like Erik? That is so unatural.

Now Now. I know who Amber is and have met her. You must have hacked her computer and stole the password [Confused]

I see that no one has touched on the old east coast method of getting rid of the poison by drying it out by burning it out quick and fast.

A huge jug of rubbing alcohol, a spray bottle and a hot shower are all that are needed (the rubbing alcohol may be substituted with bleach or gasoline, however I have aleays used the rubbing alcohol.

Stand under the shower with the water spraying at the hottest possible temprature that can be tolerated. Soak the afflicted areas until the burning feeling goes away. Then spray the alcohol onto the afflicted area (soaking the balls takes some big ones) and let seep in for about five minutes, continue covering all areas for the entire five minutes with the mist function. Then wash off and repeat. After this all takes place, the itching will subside and the poison will no longer be a bother. This also works for poison oak, as I got hit hard last week. [Eek!]

thanks everyone....cept greg, but he is worthless!

i also found this too...anyone know where i can get some???

http://www.bio.umass.edu/immunology/poisoniv.htm

In the southern Appalachians and in much of the eastern U.S., there is a plant remedy that works very well. Jewel Weed comes in two varieties, with a yellow flower (Impatiens pallida) or with an orange flower (Impatiens capensis). The great thing about Jewel Weed is that it often grows right next to Poison Ivy and is fairly common along roadsides. This plant is a well-known folk remedy for P.I. and has no reported side-effects. The juice of the Jewel Weed can be extracted from the stems or leaves, preferably before flowering, but it seems to work at any time. If you are out in the woods and realize that you have exposed yourself to Poison Ivy, and are able to find Jewel Weed, you are in luck. Crush the stems of Jewel Weed to extract the juice and apply it to the area affected by The P.I. or, apply a poultice of the crushed leaves to the area. The juice is somewhat sticky and will stay where you put it pretty well. Some folks have said that tea made from Jewel Weed works as a preventative. To keep a reserve supply on hand, the best idea seems to be to save the juice as ice cubes to rub on the infected area. Shred leaves and roots and place in boiling water for 15 minutes to half an hour, then freeze the liquid in ice cube trays. Jewel Weed relieves the itching, stops the spread and helps to heal the Poison Ivy rash. We have found Jewel Weed to be the best remedy of all, even better than prescription products.

Poison ivy oils (or oak, or sumac) don't cause a reaction until they've combined with proteins in your skin. If you can wash the oils off within a few hours, or before they've soaked in, you can avoid the reaction. I've heard that Fels Naphtha soap is best for this, but since it's an oil, any reasonably good soap, as well as the petroleum products mentioned above, should work. I don't know about the alcohol.

Once the reaction occurs, the oil is bound to skin proteins and can't be washed off. The reason it seems to spread around your body is that as the allergic reaction intensifies, areas of lesser oil exposure also flare up. You can't spread it on yourself or to another person once the rash shows up.

I've heard the Rhus Tox is helpful. A couple of other things you can do: if you're intensely allergic, you can get poison ivy extract injections to desensitize you, employing the same principle of allergy shots. If the topical applications aren't working and you're miserable, you can see the doctor and take ten days worth of Prednisone-- but you will be trading in the itchy feeling for edgy, irritable and insomniac from the steroids.

There is no pioson ivy growing in Oregon... most people mistake pioson oak for ivy, because it grow in three different forms, a small and manly leaf veriety that is in the shade or undergrowth, a large woody shrub in the open clearings, and a very devious vine that usally cralls up trees or better yet the side of a nice climb... the leaves of the vine like oak even resemble posion ivy leaves; as you mite guess it is mistaken for pioson ivy... another fact about the oak is that it dosn't grow above a sertain elevation, not sure exsactly how high but it is very evedent when climbing up a slope that is coverd with the baster brush and then all of a sudden it is never seen again untill you're on your way back down... have seen it when climbing up in the mountains? have you seen it when you are on the aproach to a wall in the lower valley areas? A very good way to avoid the nasty rash one might get is by observation... know your plants, it might just save you life some day...

quote:

Originally posted by Norman Clyde:

I've heard that Fels Naphtha soap is best for this, but since it's an oil, any reasonably good soap, as well as the petroleum products mentioned above, should work.

Having lived in Virginia I have far to much experience with Poison Oak/Ivy. The best Granite their swims in it between May and September. Fels Naptha is bar none the best solution to the problem (do a double head to toe soaping) - Ivory soap doesn't work nearly as well - and the scented crap like Dove is a total waste. Acetone/Alcohol and other heavy crap is for the real evil - Chiggers!

Carl

poison ivy not east coast. visit skaha in the springtime and see. except the skaha locals walk arounbdwith little spray bottles full of herbicide and exterminate it wherever they see it. personally i think that is dumb. poison ivy, like Leavenworth wasps, Vantage loose choss, and Coast Range devils club, just acts to moderate the crowd scene. [big Grin]

Nature is truly amazing sometimes. Very often the remedy grows right near by the poison. If you encounter stinging nettles, search for sword ferns always nearby. Rubbing the sword fern leaves where you have been stung seems to help subside the stinging.

BTW, nettle tea is also good for flu symptoms.

be happy you're not like one of my students...this kid showed up yesterday, his entire face red and pusy, his eyes swollen, bleary and oozing, the size of oranges...such nasty shit i told him to go home instantly and not return until he vaguely resembles a human being again...i think he's going to sue his biology teacher (she had them outside pressing wildflowers, guess he wasn't there for poison ivy lecture day)...poor bastard

Ivan, if the "kid" was swollen and oozing, he's as risk of drowning from what his lungs may be leaking. Medical treatment, ASAP. Corticoid steroids are what he needs.

And to wash off oils if you know you've been exposed, I favor the strongest detergent soaps I've got in the house. Dishwasher soap works great. Once you've got it, anything that will dry it out works. A vacation to the beach and frequent ocean swims is the best.

BTW, poison oak's allergen is related to oils in mangoes. If you're really allergic, or have an out-break, avoid mangoes.

E-Dog right after I got off the phone with you when you told me you got the poison ivy I looked down at my legs and sure enough all below the kneee is strange red blisters. Maybe its not poison ivy but a strange reaction to excessive exposure to 5.10 moss eh? Well I'm treating it with my own age-old remedy: consumption of malted alcohol beverages and inhaltation of canabis sativa. Works everytime yo.