Bivy in Timberline parking lot?

Dustin_B

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will most definatly be a bridge still. Park in the overnight parking lot, clearly marked. No one will hassle you except for the snow plows, which have a knack for spotting sleeping climbers. They then play the game to see how close they can get to you vehicle.

Its all in good fun though hahaha.gif

Thanks for the info.

Do people usually ski off the summit or do they drop down below the bergschrund before they strap up? (I know, "it depends on how good you are...") I've only been up Hood once about 2 years ago and don't remember much past the Hogsback. I'm new to bc this year and I was kind of just assuming we'd drop skis at the Hogsback. We'll make the call for ourselves when we get there, but just wondering what most people do.

Thanks

I second Shredder's advice, and would personally recommend lugging to the top. Bring some snacks, hang out and wait for it to warm up, then hit the old chute. If you ski it down til it opens up and then hook skier's left, you can clear the saddle at Hogsback and then ski down skier's left of Crater Rock and through the Devil's Kitchen area. If the schrund is open, you should have enough vert to make the conscious decision to cross above or below it when you make your traverse back to Hogsback from the chute.

You avoid the crowd and stairsteps of Pearly Gates, you get the full vert, and you're down in the lot before people you summitted with have cleared Crater Rock. It's awesome!

Good luck, be safe and have fun.

Chris

Thrashador and I got up there about 6:30am this morning, pulled into the climbers parking lot all set to summit with skis, looked at the bullet proof conditions glistening in the sunshine while the car shook violently in the wind and didn't even bother to step outside. I am now at work instead... cry.gif

down to SE 10-20 early Saturday...hopefully it will be EARLY Sat.! It doing close to 50 at Silcox right now.
... definitely... gave it a go this morning but got to Silcox and figured another day would be better...

I used to bivy in the parking lot for a few hours but there is a lot of activity, especially on the weekend which netted 30 minutes of sleep in 2 hours. Now I rest beforehand and don't try to bivy.

I've been on Hood a number of times when the wind was just flat rocking up till the top or Palmer, then it just stops and everything is calm all the way to the summit.

You've summitted?

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

you just keep throw'n 'em right down the middle eh, amigo? rob bats like .660 from the left in this league...