Climbing on NPR today

allison

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also noted that they were intending to walk down and there was a lack of fixed anchors.

Probably not Orbit as there are bail slings hanging all over the place on that. Maybe Outer Space? What about stuff like R&D or the Tree Route? Do they have fixed anchors?

call me on this one if you want, but everyone's negative comments here, sound almost snide and elitiest...

eho cares what the public thinks.....

npr is liberal media, and of course they are going to use the most emotional/less then intelligent sounding people...makes for better news....

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

[QB]call me on this one if you want, but

QB]

Ok.. I'll call you on this one.

I care, and i think anyone concerned about future access should too.

When it comes down to trying to get rid off the Fee "Demo" program or other bureaucratic costs, this is just ammo for non-users and politicians.

quote:

Originally posted by Juneriver:

quote:

[QB]call me on this one if you want, but

QB]

Ok.. I'll call you on this one.

I care, and i think anyone concerned about future access should too.

When it comes down to trying to get rid off the Fee "Demo" program or other bureaucratic costs, this is just ammo for non-users and politicians.

UMMM me dont think so....

did you listen to the nps dudes or read what the aac sez or anything??

this is all emotions...you think there would have been this talk if that chopper hadnt crashed?? i personally dont think so.....

and i still think alot of the comments are like, "not me dude!! i'm dialed!"

i know that is the first thing that corssed my mind at first, then i stopped thinking irrationally and figured that we all could be next........

chop! chop!

I only listened to the show off and on, and I think that info that has been presented to the media by the NPS in the last week is great. Even better than what I would have hoped for.

But when you get the callers on the show, talking about how they needed a helicopter because the guidebook misled them, I think that it gives a bad impression that might eventually effect us all.

That and the fact that everytime there is a rescue in the news it's the same old blame game and the "who pays for rescue" news stories pop up, make me think that it's just a matter of time before someone introduces legislation or even just serious rescue fees.

On the other hand, I think that the latest news report on King5.com that had the interview with Mike G. was one of the most fair and impressive things I've seen in the press on the issue.

I still wanna know who that John/Jon from Redmond is? Was it on Mt. Index as Dru suggested? Another thought, perhaps it was Serpentine Arete on Dragontail. I could definitely see that necessitating a rescue for a broken ankle. Hey Lambone! Did you get rescued up there this weekend?

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

I still wanna know who that John/Jon from Redmond is? Was it on Mt. Index as Dru suggested? Another thought, perhaps it was Serpentine Arete on Dragontail. I could definitely see that necessitating a rescue for a broken ankle. Hey Lambone! Did you get rescued up there this weekend?

Jon from Redmond is a gaper whoever he is. Or is that Jon from cascadeclimbers.com?

Doesnt Twight suggest, if you break an ankle while EXTREME ALPINE CLIMBING, sawing off the leg below the knee and rappelling off the frozen foot jammed in a crack? [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Hey Lambone! Did you get rescued up there this weekend?

I almost called to be rescued from the heavy pack that was trying to kill me on the hike up to and down from the lake...

Otherwise I did not see any sign of a rescue being held near Dragontail, although I was nervous that the party of 10 climbing up Dragontail from the Colchuck Col might provoke a rescue. Luckily they didn't [smile]

I couldn't see any climbers on Serpintine or Backbone, but both routes looked primed and ready.

[ 06-03-2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

quote:

npr is liberal media, and of course they are going to use the most emotional/less then intelligent sounding people...makes for better news....

Big media is big media. There is no correlation between liberalism and sensationalism (ahem, remember Rush Limbaugh?).

Hey Eric, I agree with Juneriver on this one. A whole shitload of laws and policies are made/have been made based on emotional response. What better way for a legislator to get headlines than to say he/she "solved" a headline grabbing problem. It is a mentality of legislating the problem out of society. Happens all the time my brother. You really should care.

quote:

Originally posted by slothrop:

quote:

Big media is big media. There is no correlation between liberalism and sensationalism (ahem, remember Rush Limbaugh?).

Slothrop,

Rush Limbaugh readily admits his conservative bias. Additionally, he never claims to be a member of the "news media". His show is purely entertainment and opinion.

NPR however denies it has ANY political tilt and passes off its soapbox editorials as "news".

I do enjoy some of NPR's programing...if for nothing else than to provide me with balance and keep me abreast of what the "other side" is up to.

Wasn't it NPR's Nina Totenberg who wished on-air that Strom Thurmond's children and grandchildren would be stricken with AIDS? ...So much for the "tolerance" of the left.