Rope storage

badvoodoo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the best place for you to store your rope is at my house. I *promise* I will not use it. However you should know that even properly stored ropes get fuzzy and dirty spontaneously over time, that won't be MY fault 'cause honest I won't use it. My house is also the best place for you to store your cams, skis, cd collection and big screen teevee. thumbs_up.gif

Fern's house is an excellent choice. Sometimes you just won't notice fundamental problems, best to let someone else deal with them wink.gif Should she become unavailible, I volunteer to take good care of your rope as well. I won't use it either.

The typical convention is to keep it in a rope bag, to keep the dirt and dust off of it. The only major no-nos of storing your rope are direct UV and acid of any kind. Accident analysis of one rope after it snapped revealed it had been stored near a set of jumper cables that had acid corrosion on them. Nasty stuff, man, and the fumes are as bad as the liquid so watch it in the car.

...Any suggestions? Does it matter?

Here's a suggestion: Store in cool, dark, dry place, not humid or wet, in a rope bag. I keep mine in rope bags (or old sleeping bag stuff sacks) on a shelf (off the floor!!) in the garage, away from the area where the truck and power lawn/garden tools are kept. This keeps the ropes away from fuel fumes, anti-freeze, windshield cleaners, Gum-Out, battery acids, and other volatile organic compounds. Ventilation is good. Or keep them in their bags in your upstairs clothes closet. DO NOT STORE THEM IN YOUR CAR TRUNK!! shocked.gif

And yes, it DOES matter.

you can get these big blue tarp-like shopping bags at IKEA for like $2 or something. They make a pretty good budget rope bag, big enough to carry 3 ropes, easy to flake into. They lack the gimmick straps of one of those metolious jobbies, but you can probably rig your own with some cleverness.

I have two ropes hanging in a dark closet in the hopes that they will mate and I will end up with extra accesory cord. If I wait long enough, the accesory cord will turn into 8mm twin ropes, and eventually usable 9.7mm singles...

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

mine usually sit somewhere in the middle of the dinning room if i've bothered to get them out of the pack from the last time they were used.

I have two ropes hanging in a dark closet in the hopes that they will mate and I will end up with extra accesory cord. If I wait long enough, the accesory cord will turn into 8mm twin ropes, and eventually usable 9.7mm singles...
DUDE THAT IS SUCH GOOD PLANNING!! I am gunna try that yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

My mustang sallys rope has migrated to my house and it lives on the floor of my closet under my harness chalk bag shoes and mustang sallys quick draws, so it tkaes me 12 seconds to pack my gear and GLEEFULY leave the house. when I am done climbing I put it all away so that kids don't drool on it cat wont pee on it, no one steps on it etc. I love my gear and try and treat it nice.that way I can use it for a LONG time cool.gif

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Cool, ok, thanks for the feedback. Does it matter if they're coiled or just flaked?

Doesn't matter. I flake the ones that are stored in rope bags (cuz that's why you buy rope bags - so you can just throw it open out on the ground and start climbing), and butterfly coil the ones in sleeping bag stuff sacks (cuz it's easier to deal with them at the crag that way).