Gas Prices and Summer Travel

MrDoolittle

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in the country. i got myself a horse drawn wagon. my "car" runs on grass. fuck you all the_finger.gif

horse-&-wagon-001-mo.jpg

WTF Dru? Where are the little kids with the pooper scoopers? They only cost about a $1 a day, and think of what you could be doing for the environment-

you insensitive hoser.

Eh? Ay? A?

First, gas in not at an "all time high". Prices in constant dollars were much higher in 1981.

Second, if you want to bring water into the equation, you better include Las Vegas, LA, and Phoenix in the discussion.

Third, $3 gallon is not unreasonable, look at prices in Europe. Attaining that price level might be one of the best things to happen to us in a long time. The repercussions of $3 gas would be a net positive.

What about the pollution creaed during the fermentation of the grass in the stomachs of the animals?

You are an environment hating bastard.

Damn right Dru, you're destroying the planet faster than any of us! Why can't you get around in something more environment friendly like those upstanding environmentalists Cameron Diaz and Leonardo DiCaprio? hellno3d.gif

First, gas in not at an "all time high". Prices in constant dollars were much higher in 1981.

Second, if you want to bring water into the equation, you better include Las Vegas, LA, and Phoenix in the discussion.

Third, $3 gallon is not unreasonable, look at prices in Europe. Attaining that price level might be one of the best things to happen to us in a long time. The repercussions of $3 gas would be a net positive.

Except that Europe has a well-refined system of trains for distributing goods, while we rely on primarily on trucks. So, when gas is $3 a gallon, milk will be $5 a gallon and a loaf of bread will cost $9. How is this good for the economy? The value of the product is still the same, but the cost of bringing it to the consumer has increased, and your earnings remain the same. This means less money to spend on things other than food, which results in an economic collapse.

Mid grade gas in Weed, CA was 2.27 a gallon today. I forgot to look at this and put almost 30.00 in my tank before I realized I was being robbed. The same thing happened to me in Amboy, CA a few years ago outside of 29 Palms/Joshua Tree. California is a rip-off!

This means less money to spend on things other than food, which results in an economic collapse.

Or a very fast change in the type of vehicle the American consumer drives, how they drive, and a general change in attitude as they re-assess the value and cost of their current lifestyle.

Its going to have to happen sooner or later. Just like the metric system...!

Alright Doolittle, let me spell it out:

First, I didn't say good for the economy, although you could argue for that too. I said, the repercussions would be a net positive. Gas consumption would decrease = less pollution. Consumers would move toward more fuel efficient vehicles = less pollution. The impetus to aggessively pursue alternative energy sources would be in place. Less consumption would decrease demand and thereby lower prices.

As for the trucking of good: Increased transp costs would decrease the trend of consolidation. The economies of scale that large agri-business enjoys at the expense of smaller independent local producers would diminish. Smaller producers would thrive because they produce close to the site of consumption. This would put less money into overpaid CEOs pockets and more into your local community.

Hello capitalist!

With people in my country at 1.4 billion and over 1 billion bicycle, we can't be all wrong. You american ever think to walk or ride bike. No, that right, you all obese, lazy fucks. We china people will take over world like a red army of ants.

My advise to you is don't worry be happy.

Thank you for allow commie to post.

In their analysis the current price levels aren't supported by the fundamentals of the current supply/demand equation - although increasing demand from a recovering US and a surging China have helped to elevate prices. The main factors that they see distorting the markets at the moment are intense political risk - a "terror premium" - in the Middle East, as well as in second tier producers like Venezuela, and strong buying by the US government for the strategic petrolem reserve. As when the price of crude has spiked in the past, there's been very little action on taken to withhold supply by OPEC members, all of whom are selling well beyond their quota allotment. One other persistent factor driving up prices at the pump is the ongoing tightness in refining capacity, especially for the blends required to satisfy tougher environmental regs. Political risk - in the form of price controls - is one of the factors that's made oil companies reluctant to make the investments necessary to build the additional refineries necessary to bring more supply to the market.

You forgot their contention (it lead the article!) that speculation in the oil market is also at a relative high. So add to the lists of reasons "rich capitalist pigs are milking you dry"

Except that Europe has a well-refined system of trains for distributing goods, while we rely on primarily on trucks. So, when gas is $3 a gallon, milk will be $5 a gallon and a loaf of bread will cost $9. How is this good for the economy? The value of the product is still the same, but the cost of bringing it to the consumer has increased, and your earnings remain the same. This means less money to spend on things other than food, which results in an economic collapse.

horse drawn milk wagon milk-wagon.jpg

Since horses eat grass, and grass grows by photosynthesis, horses are "solar powered". High tech for the new millennium!

Thanks for the spelling lesson rolleyes.gif

Your economic THEORY is all well and good as a chapter in your ECON121 text, but in REALITY, when gas prices go through the roof IN THREEE MONTHS, our way of life will be unable to adapt rapidly enough to save us the major misery that we will experience.

For instance, you suggest that we will all be using more fuel effecient vehicles. This will not be the case in JULY. Maybe in ten years, but not 15 weeks. We're fucked.

And also notice that OPEC is retaliating for our occupation of Iraq and our continued support of Isreal and their treatment of the Palestinians by cutting production. They know exactly how to hit us the hardest. Get ready for long lines at the gas pumps...

I heard some lady at my office musing about getting an escalade yesterday, her gmc jimmy is just too small. Seems like some people either have no clue about the economic environment around them, or they are simply willing to pay over $40/week to drive an overpriced, underperforming piece of junk.

I'd like a single-seater fuel cell powered commuter pod with four wheel drive and enough room for four people and gear. Is that unreasonable?

And every time I see one of those Escalades, I just want to bludgoen the driver with a rock. That's the car that Caligula would drive, in his syphillitic decadence. Jimmy got his leg blown off driving his Humvee over a land mine in Mosul so some wretched cunt can yammer into her cell phone, blocking traffic while she attempts to parallel park in a space that's too small? Makes perfect sense to me. God Bless America rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the spelling lesson rolleyes.gif

when gas prices go through the roof IN THREEE MONTHS, our way of life will be unable to adapt rapidly enough to save us the major misery that we will experience.

For instance, you suggest that we will all be using more fuel effecient vehicles. This will not be the case in JULY. Maybe in ten years, but not 15 weeks. We're fucked.

Hey Doolittle,

I'm no conservative, but you are full of crap. Fuel prices are fairly elastic. It will not take much in the way of changed behavior to stem the tide of rising fuel costs. And yes people do change thier behavior.

The fact is we WILL be using more fuel efficient vehicles by July. I'm going climbing this weekend. The car will have 4 people rather than 2. I rode my motorcycle today, much better milage. My bicycle is tuned up. There are busses. Carpooling is an option.

The point is even small changes can make a huge difference in a short period of time.

$3.00 a gallon? Bring it on. I think its great how the oil companies have taken it upon themselves to raise taxes on us since BushCo doesn't have the stomach. Oh and it helps solve the traffic congestion too.