What to do in Alaska

Jim

Going to Juneau in the end June to visit a friend w/a new kid. I can likely stretch this to 10 days and have a pile of air miles to burn so I could move about the state. I've worked in AK for one summer and several projects recently but haven't traveled around.

So what have you done before that would be interesting? Not technical climbing on this trip, just want to get out a bit and see some different critters and places. Maybe could manage a day ski tour. Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim

Kings. As in salmon. Yeah I know it ain't climbing but its a blast cantfocus.gif. You maay end up bobbing around in a boat but they are fun to catch.

Actually I have hiked right out of town up Gold Creek and climbed Mt. Juneau (a wet slog up a alpine meadow/stream), or kept going up to the icefields. If you really want a ski tour at that time of the year, you are looking at a helicopter trip to ferry you in and out. There is ice climbing in the crevasses too. Sounds like a fun time.

jim, i lived in juneau for the past three years. there is plenty to do there. lots of hiking, from easy trails and ridge traverses to full-on bushwacks. there is also easy access to the mendenhall glacier. if you have a boat that is even better. kayaking is great. you could also use some air miles and pop over to glacier bay for some kayaking. or take the ferry to skagway and drive (or bike) back around to haines, that takes you through whitehorse and is a blast. if you head into the interior at all then your options expand exponentially. give me a pm if you want some specifics.

cheers

If you stay in Juneau, hike up Granite Basin. Talk to some locals to find out where its at, because our guide book didn't talk about it. There is also a really easy hike up to a foot of a glacer in the same general area. Juneau has so much cool stuff to do you can spend the whole 10 days there.

If you fly to Anchorage, rent a car (expensive BTW) and make the 45 minute drive to the Chugach Mountains. Or drive up to Denali Nation Park for some kick a$$ backpacking in the backcountry. If you do head to Denali, you have to take a 1/2 hour wild animal class and get a permit.

Homer is a cool place to hang out for a day or two. Set your tent up on the spit and head over to the bar (forgot the name). bigdrink.gif

Steve