car pool lane question.

ken4ord

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speeding is only a problem if you drive erratically or cause a weck.

then by that logic, driving solo in the carpool lane would only be a problem if you are holding up the car behind you.

keep up with the flow and there's no harm done, right?

But Klenke,

Lars specifically based his argument on keeping up with the traffic and not holding people up in the carpool lane. If the problem was so bad that everyone did it and the carpool lane was bunged up by the illegals, then you've violated his assumption. So, think yourself! foreheadslap.gifgrin.gif

Besides, "if everyone did it" is one of those bogus "slippery slope" arguments. If your argument requires the addition of your own "if" assumption; then usually, your argument has a hole or two. hahaha.gif

Why is it OK to speed, but it's not OK to ride in the HOV illegally? Who determines what is righteous?

That question asked, I will also sell Ken down the river... in a heartbeat.

Well it seems that all of you are sort of righteous that are willing to make that 764-hero call rather than let that person in the HOV lane take that risk of running into a copper on the highway.

So if some at the grocery store cuts in line do you call the manager in? Jeezs you guys are too much. So I take it you guys are on the phone every day being a hero, calling in reports of people cheating and driving in the HOV lane, cause I see people in that lane that shouldn't be in it every day I go to work. Pathetic thumbs_down.gif

Isn't it still cutting in front of people, when you drive past them at 70 mph and they're going the posted speed limit? confused.gif

Why is that OK when HOV pilfering is not?

And what about passing on the right? Is that OK too?

The way I see it, if someone passes me on the right, then I f**ked up, because I should have been in the slower lane to let them get by me... "Go faster, or go over"

Gripped, so true about if you are passed on the right. It seems to me Seattleite are horrible about going slow in the passing lanes. I have gotten to the point if I want to go faster than the traffic I am usually in the righthand lane.

The grocery store anology seems to only work if you are in line with more than ten items and you notice the express lane opens up. So you decide to bail on the line you are in (the grandma with coupons line) to cruise on through and be on your merry way. Either way what it comes down to, is that you break the rules you better be willing to pay the consequences. So with the grocery store you might have the cashier refuse to ring your items cause you have too many item and are sent to the back of the grandma line (it has happened to me and I just smile cause I know I was in the wrong). On the highway you might have to pay the fine and be held up even longer with officer. With that said I never narq on someone unless it harms another in any sort of mental or physical way. You guys that call in on someone in the HOV lane are just little wanna be piggies.

so ken4ord, how do you rationalize being solo in the HOV lane to yourself? do you just not recognize that its selfish behavior, or do you just not care? what makes you so special that you should be allowed to break the law but not others? i could see if you disagree with the whole concept of hov lanes, and you're trying to make a statement - but i think you just don't give a shit, and you'll do it if you can get away with it.

you're probably one of those selfish dudes who shoves themselves into an intersection that is blocked on the other side as the light is about to change, thereby blocking traffic in the other direction. hey, it serves your purpose, who gives a shit about anyone else?

Edited by greenfork

Here's what I like about HOV lanes. I get to drive in them legally when I'm carting kids around. Makes no sense really, since we're not keeping another car off the road or anything. But it sure is fun zipping by all you other suckers stuck in the mire. grin.gifboxing_smiley.gif

is there a $ reward for this 764 HERO thing?

hey Ken what is your license # and what time are you driving each day of the week? .... I don't even need to live in the same city as you to cash in on this scheme - one little phone call every morning before I go to work, chaCHING!! yellaf.gif

If I had my way all you commuting suckers would take the bus leaving the highway open for trucks. I ain't talking about hummers either I mean real trucks...If you own a pickup you'd have to prove you needed to haul more than you could fit into a backpack.

No monetary compensation Fern, but you do get the awesome reward of being a HERO for saving civilization from degradation and destruction.

Also, calling the narc number won't get you put in jail like running someone off the road or shooting 'em will.

Greenfork don't you get it, that is why I started this thread, is to see whether or not I am willing to accept the consequences. That is what life is all about really, risk analysis, then making an educated decision. I know I am not perfect nor will I ever try to be perfect and always play by the rules.

The answer to your questions. There is no rationalization to be made. Yes I do realize it is selfish like I said I am not perfect, yes I do care that is why I posed the question and why I don't so it all the time, no I am not special and if other people want to break the law that is their own choice, yes HOV lanes are a good idea and I appreciate them when I am actually carpooling, no I don't like blocking interrsection and if i do block an intersection I feel bad about it, and no I am not selfish all the time only sometime like this morning.

So the_finger.gif you.

Sorry Fern no money for you.

wink.gifwave.gif TUINB

No, there is no proper rationalization for why Ken should get to drive in the HOV lane, even though he is just one guy. I'm willing to bet even he realizes this. KEN! IT'S BAD KARMA TO ILLEGALLY DRIVE IN THE HOV LANE!

A lot of people wouldn't dream of doing it, because they feel it isn't fair, or it's ging to get them tickets, whatever. Ken rightly points out, however, it's his decision to make.

Ken, do the right thing, man. Get a motorcycle. You'll save a ton of dough on gas, commutes and parking a problem will be a thing of the past, and you'll get a fun pastime out of it in the mix!