car pool lane question.

ken4ord

Anybody know how much the fines are for driving in the Washington car pool lane when you are not car pooling? Freak I hate traffic so today I hopped in the car pool lane, ah it was nice. What would have been a hour intraffic was cut down to 10 minutes, that was because I had to get into traffic again for a little bit because I saw a cop. So, I got to figure out if the fine is reasonable enough to make it a habit. I figure if I can get away with it 10 times and it is a $100 or less, that would be worth not getting all madgo_ron.gif while I am driving, but anymore than a $100 just might have to stew in madgo_ron.gif in traffic.

So anybody know how much that fine is?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Just be aware that, at least in CA, the fake doll in the passengers seat just pisses off the highway patrol even more when they catch you. you will get NO leniency.

2) you can't complain about road rage if you're doing one of the very things that causes it in others. ;-)

Well first off Antonio does not do anything for me. Second I think it would piss the officer off even more if I get pulled over and he see blow up thingy. Fouth I could care less about other peoples road rage, I only have control over mine. Fourth it seems none of you know the answer to my question, how much is the fine.

I was going to go there but I like the banter that comes up. So I thought I would try here first and then go google, if nothing came up. Thanks.

Well $101 in my book, is definitely worth it to by pass the traffic occasionally. The cool thing is the more often I get away with it the the cheaper it is to use the lane. I have probably used the car pool lane illegally about 7 times, so that is $12.625 per use if I get caught the next time. Hmm it is sort of like a game, only thing is the game gets harder as summer come along since there is light earlier and later, but hopefully I will be getting on the bike more often during the summer and not have to worry about traffic or getting caught.

Don't forget about how much the ticket will raise your insurance. Or if you've already got a bunch of tickets whether it will cause you to lose your license.

Last year or so there was this news story that's so good it must be an urban legend, but it was some lady who got in a wreck on 405 while using a cell phone and was in the carpool lane with a blow-up doll. Caused major traffic stoppage. grin.gifblush.gif

Is the bus, a bike, or an actual carpool an option? Or perhaps a shifted work schedule?

The bike is an option, which I do ride quite frequently since I hate traffic. During the summer I will probably riding every day which mean about 200 miles a week. I work 10+ hour days so by bus it would take 1.5 hours on each end, faq that I am not sitting in a bus for 3 hours each day. So that is not an option. I am willing to carpool, but I don't know anyone with the same schedule. Because I work longer days traffic is usually not an issue, I can usually beat the rush hour in the morning and miss it in the evening, so it is not like I drive in the car pool lane all the time, just when needed, those days when I need that extra half hour of sleep.

Nothing worse than being in a traffic jam when you're in a hurry madgo_ron.gif. Sounds like that's exactly when you get stuck in them.

Traffic jams are a lot easier to take when you've anticipated them and can just relax and use that downtime to meditate about climbing or something. Usually you can listen to NPR too, but not this week. Freakin' pledge drives madgo_ron.gifyellaf.gif

smoke a bowl

Smoking a bowl on the way to work is not an option, I have to think at my job sometimes. On my way home it is a viable option, but the traffic is usually not bad then, though it doesn't stop me from indulging sometimes. This applies to the six pack idea as well.

So dood are back around or are you still in SLC?