• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
dirtwigle

Avy probes

Just wondering if anyone has used the BCA profile 240 probe? How do you like it? Pro’s and con’s? I just ordered a BCA Tracker from avalanchetools.com and they threw in the profile for free.

avy probes are a waste of money. use your ski pole or a old tent pole that you mark the meters/feet on. duct tape help keeps te pieces together.

yellaf.gif erik, you're a crackup. (or is that crackpot? tongue.gif)

i've never used the bca probe, but it's likely a "fine" probe. 240 would probably be the minimum length you'd want, and it's got markings so that's a bonus. i can't imagine you'd really need anything beefier. unless you plan to pole vault. wink.gif since it was free you might as well as throw it around in your living room some, take it to the snow ... and tell us what you think.

Word up to avalanchetools.com. They got my toys to me in three days, no tax, free shipping and a kick ass free probe. It is a least a better deal than I have been able to find here in town.

Cheers,

It is a nice probe. I used it a few times, but now have BCA's SR3 probe (3 meters, bigger diameter). No problem with the 240, just wanted a 3 m probe. The centimeter markings are nice but they stop a good 5 cm to the end of each segment, leaving gaps. The SR3 doesn't do that.

The probe works really well in packed debris with nearly no deflection. The only complaint I've seen is when searching for someone (or in our case a buried beacon/target) the cable loop can whip into somebody's face as you probe close to another searcher. Not a big deal if a life's at stake, and since I was the one probing, not a problem for me either laugh.gif.

drC

SOS sells cm marking tape that you can apply to any probe with no gaps. Put the tape on with the probe assembled and use a razor blade to cut the joins.

SOS sells cm marking tape that you can apply to any probe with no gaps. Put the tape on with the probe assembled and use a razor blade to cut the joins.

I know about that. I've wondered about durability but it's a really cool idea (and another $12), and if their tape is as bomber as their shovels, no pb.

drC