Avy probes

dirtwigle

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellaf.gif erik, you're a crackup. (or is that crackpot? tongue.gif)

i've never used the bca probe, but it's likely a "fine" probe. 240 would probably be the minimum length you'd want, and it's got markings so that's a bonus. i can't imagine you'd really need anything beefier. unless you plan to pole vault. wink.gif since it was free you might as well as throw it around in your living room some, take it to the snow ... and tell us what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a nice probe. I used it a few times, but now have BCA's SR3 probe (3 meters, bigger diameter). No problem with the 240, just wanted a 3 m probe. The centimeter markings are nice but they stop a good 5 cm to the end of each segment, leaving gaps. The SR3 doesn't do that.

The probe works really well in packed debris with nearly no deflection. The only complaint I've seen is when searching for someone (or in our case a buried beacon/target) the cable loop can whip into somebody's face as you probe close to another searcher. Not a big deal if a life's at stake, and since I was the one probing, not a problem for me either laugh.gif.

drC

SOS sells cm marking tape that you can apply to any probe with no gaps. Put the tape on with the probe assembled and use a razor blade to cut the joins.

I know about that. I've wondered about durability but it's a really cool idea (and another $12), and if their tape is as bomber as their shovels, no pb.

drC