Big BIG walls in PNW?

D-dog

Hey all, question for grizzled veterans of the scene (I've been climbing in the PNW for 12 years or so, but I don't consider myself a true veteran just yet).

What is the biggest, steepest big wall in the PNW? Something bigger (and steeper) than Liberty Bell. Something along the lines of Tower Rock, only bigger. Something truly, truly. . . uh, big!

I've heard rumor of a 2000+ foot face somewhere in the wildlands but try as I might no luck in pinning that rumor down.

Any suggestions?

Peace,

D-d0g

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for base jumping purposes, the N and NE faces of Baring (main face and dolomite tower) should do you fine ('course, what do I know? I'm not a base jumper?).

Anyway, Dolomite has a 1500 foot primarily overhanging drop combined with about 1500 feet of slab below it. The main face is similar.

There's a hike up the back side.

matt

[ 05-31-2002, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Matt Anderson ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I am helping out matt... This is not Mt Index North or South Norwegian Buttresses.

sqmid.jpg

Ok, that's certainly quite big. Is that main buttress there steep, i.e. vertical? Hard to tell from the angle.

Peace,

D-d0g

Thanks all. Here's a recap:

1. Liberty Bell has been jumped but is a very bad jump. Not consistently steep enough - trust me.

2. Baring has been jumped and is a super jump, perhaps one of the best in the country outside of the Valley. It is about 900 feet to impact but much of the lower flank can likely be out-tracked in freefall.

3. Norwegian Buttress @ Index

4. Squire Creek Wall

5. Goldenhorn Peak

Anyone have pointers to photos of the above?

Peace,

D-d0g

ps: yes, the big building in the photo has been jumped, but not by me.

quote:

Originally posted by MountainMan:

lol ^^^^

yeah id be interested in that TR on the E Face of twin spires too.

I'm poking around for info online even as we speak. Sounds like a duly epic project, and quite fun. Anyone ever seen a photo of the E face? Vertical at the top?

Oh, this summer is going to be so much fun it almost hurts - I think I'll wear Becky out before November rolls around [big Grin]

Peace,

D-d0g

Bear North Face, The Diamond, overhanging.... [smile]

Chief was BASEd jumping off the Prow wall above S gully.... you glide out over the Apron when your chute opens...

Whatabout the Crooked River bridge near Smith Rocks? [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Bear North Face, The Diamond, overhanging....
[smile]

Chief was BASEd jumping off the Prow wall above S gully.... you glide out over the Apron when your chute opens...

Whatabout the Crooked River bridge near Smith Rocks?
[Wink]

Yes, I believe the Chief has been jumped a number of times. The power lines down at the bottom are an obstacle that prevents anyone from doing a long delay. I wonder if the University Wall (as someone else mentioned) might not be a good jump. Been years since I was up there back before Croft's spectacular line was put up.

The Crooked River bridge down by Terrebone has been jumped. Pretty bad landing area, unless you are willing to get wet in the river. Money Face has been jumped, as has Picnic Lunch wall.

The Diamond (on Long's Peak, in Colorado) has been jumped numerous times, and looks like a beautiful one with a long canopy ride at the bottom. I think it will be a spectacular wingsuit jump for sure.

Peace,

D-d0g

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

The Diamond on Bear Mountain is the overhanging 2000 foot headwall above the ice couloir and east of the North Buttress, not some silly 1000 foot wall on some Colorado rubble heap
[laf]

<flips frantically through Beckey. . . >

AHA! Page 122. . . "The mountain's North Face has a wide reputation: the direct wall is c. 2,500 ft in height, with the final portion overhanging."

BINGO!

<wags tail wildly>

Peace + love,

D-d0g