West Coast Ice 2 Update: Send Info...

Don_Serl

hi!

i hope you've all had an enjoyable winter season. the ice was GREAT up around lillooet, eh?

as you probably know, i'm updating west coast ice, intending the have WCI2 out before next winter.

this will NOT be a repeat of the waddington guide saga - no ten years of waiting this time!

fact is, i have FINISHED entering all routes that i am aware of into my route document. i have a bunch of detail checking to do, and many of you can expect one-on-one inquiries from me soon. i know, however, that there must still be routes out there that have been done, but not reported anywhere. and i'd dearly love to get the info into the guide!

so, PLEASE, if you "know something" and it hasn't seen light of day in the CAJ, in MEC's routebook, on bivouac.com, on cascadeclimbers.com, or some other obvious place, please respond to this note with some info. or even just tell me where to look...

to keep it efficient, let me know 1st time:

>>> name, length, and grade

>>> FA party and date

>>> exact location of route (landmarks are useful) [think: how would i tell someone how to find this?]

>>> route characteristics; any special rack requirements, etc.

thanks a lot.

and, just to whet your appetite for the new edition, lemme mention that the 1993 edition contained 136 routes - so far, i'm at 370 routes! i had NO idea there had been that much growth. i thought maybe double, but TRIPLE! i'm amazed...

pull hard, take care,

cheers,

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
3 months and counting till the guide book is out!

fingers crossed...

all the materials are off to the publisher, and the hope is to JUST sneak the books into the stores by christmas. it'll take everything ticking to do that - the slightest glitch at any stage and we'll miss. but, the project is pretty simple from the concept and layout/layup point of view, so it might just make it. and i'm certanly motivated enuf to keep bugging the publisher and printer waaay too frequently.

i'll update once it gets out of pagemaker and off to the printer - the ambition is for that to be at the end of oct.

cheers,

don

btw: 436 numbered routes (plus TRs, etc), up from 136 in first edition. jeez, people been busy!

Sounds like I'll have to leave out of my ice climbing pack: six screws, an extra tool and my water to compensate for the weight of the new book!

actually, light is right!

kevin at elaho has gotten quite a lot more efficient over the years, and i've learned to tone down my verbosity (a bit, anyway).

the 1st edition covered 136 routes in 160 pages (much of it intro), with 43 photos (some half page).

the plan for the 2nd edition is 436 routes in 228 pages, with about 80 full-page photos (final layout not yet 100%) - and, no, that is not 8 point type...

it may be no bad thing to leave the spare tool, but there still needs to be space for the scotch!

cheers, don

• 1 month later...

...missed the end of october for sending to the printers, but only a few days away now. not much chance of it seeing the stores before christmas unfortunately (unless there is a miracle at the print-shop), but VERY soon thereafter.

i'll keep folk updated...

and all chances to share dalwhinney gratefully accepted!

cheers,