glue re-enforcment

freeclimb9

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really that great of a hold? Is it worth all the effort? You might consider just chopping it off and then using your Bosch to drill an enormous bucket in its place. Also, be sure that nobody misses the sequence: get some day-glow Rustoleum and paint a big arrow that identifies the bucket's location. [Roll Eyes]

[ 05-30-2002, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: pope ]

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

quote:

Originally posted by pope:

Is it worth all the effort?
[Roll Eyes]

It never is. It'll just be another obscure lee-than-test-piece sport climb. It's just a local diversion that's safer than messing with Momo girls. And dirtier, too.

How poetic!

One of our local sport climbing areas has several routes with construction adhesive holding loose rocks in place. I believe the guy may have used whatever he could buy at Home Depot, and squirted it in cracks with a cauk gun. You might ask somebody who works with marble buildings what would be the best product to use.

I agree with the idea that the use of glue is less than aesthetic, but the Seattle climbing area that has that stuff was not developed for its beauty. It is really more of an outdoor gym than what some of us would call a climbing area. So in my opinion, the consideration of whether or not to use glue depends at least in part on where the route is going to be. I'g guessing you aren't putting up a wilderness route in Canyonlands.

[ 05-30-2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: mattp ]

Go to home depot and get the 2 part glue made by stimson that is used for gluing bolts in on constuction projects. You can by a small tube for 7 bucks and it is really good, but slippery if you get it on the hold. It is the same type of glue that you use for glue in anchors

Good luck

If you ignore the ethical issues of gluing, chipping etc... The 2-part 2 ton epoxy is awesome for gluing rock. it is low enough viscosity that if you put it in while still warm, it will flow in well behind the flake and work well. A disposable syringe may be useful. I use it to glue chunks of polished granite to frosted glass and it works quite well. There is also a 5-minute version, but you would have to mix that in the middle of the route.

quote:

Originally posted by glen:

If you ignore the ethical issues of gluing, chipping etc... The 2-part 2 ton epoxy is awesome for gluing rock. it is low enough viscosity that if you put it in while still warm, it will flow in well behind the flake and work well. A disposable syringe may be useful. I use it to glue chunks of polished granite to frosted glass and it works quite well. There is also a 5-minute version, but you would have to mix that in the middle of the route.

Ya are you gluing on lead or rap-gluing? Ethical shmethical.... [Wazzup][Roll Eyes]

The frosted glass is used in the preparation of thin sections for petrographic analysis of rocks. I use a lot of these in my geology research. I would hope nobody starts gluing chunks of glass to crags. Some of those crimps are painful enough as it is. [Eek!]