Book recommendations

Squid

I was browsing the library recently and absolutely nothing looked interesting.

I've gone and read every book with pictures in it, now it's time to step up and start reading those books with hard covers and no pictures.

I'm taking all recommendations- fiction, nonfiction, Chomsksy to bodice-ripper. What are you guys reading these days?

(aside from spray)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Hunter is a fine fiction writer. Any of his books w/ Earl or Bob Lee Swagger in them are top notch fun reading. His early stuff is okay but I would wouldn't really go out of my way to suggest them. Hunter really hit his stride with the Swagger books though. Total late night page turners.thumbs_up.gifDirty White Boys, Time to Hunt,Point of Impact, Hot Springs thumbs_up.gif

Ever read "Into Thin Air"... ? ?that's pretty good too... hahaha.gifHCL.gif

i just read 'knight of the maison-rouge' by alexandre dumas. same guy who wrote '3 musketeers' and 'count of monte cristo'. theres love and blood. and blood and love. some lusting. then everybody gets their fukin head chopped off. i thought it was a great book and i look forward to the movie.

The coming plague: newly emerging diseases in a world out of balance

Betrayal of Trust: the collapse of global public health

both by Laurie Garrett

The constant Gardener by John Lacourre, about corruption of pharmaceutical companies in Kenya

any of the books by Richard North Patterson (Political thrillers) (Degree of Guilt, Protect and Defend, No safe place, etc...)

Fuck Yes! A Guide to the Happy Acceptance of Everything.

the author is listed as a "Reverend Wing F. Fing, MD, PhD, DDS, LLD, DVD, and much much more!"... which someone once told me is a pen name for Tom Robbins. hahaha.gif

also, all you Ed Abbey fans out there (something tells me you might fall in that group Squid).... if you haven't read The Fools Progress you should; little-known gem.

The Fool's Progress, Fire on the Mountain, The Brave Cowboy, Good News, The Monkey Wrench Gang, Black Sun, Desert Soltaire....they're all good. The Fool's Progress is one of his best.

Deep Ecology for the 21st Century, The Practice of the Wild, anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Walden Two, One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest, A Clockwork Orange, Elegant Universe, and The Road to Serfdom are some of the favorites from my little library. For something a little heavier, read The Divine Comedy.

Frequencies, by Joseph Ortega - near-future SF set in a somewhat orwellian future Seattle.

The Count of Monte Christo - for my occasional Thick Classic fix.

The Ten Thousand - Historical fiction of Xenophon's march from Persia, but not as good as Pressfield's books.

Survivor, by by Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) - Fun satirical read on religion, media, and cleaning tips.

Currently fighting my way through Dave Eggers' "You Shall Know Our Velocity" - Giving him a second chance after 'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," which was none of those things.

I read both of Lance Armstrongs books: "Every Second Counts" and "It's Not About The Bike". Both are great inspiring books.

If you're looking for something different, try "A Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. Here is a link to it:

http://www.samurai.com/5rings/

If you're a nerd like me, I can give you a few titles of books about thermodynamics or medicine. tongue.gif

Steve

the author is listed as a "Reverend Wing F. Fing, MD, PhD, DDS, LLD, DVD, and much much more!"... which someone once told me is a pen name for Tom Robbins. hahaha.gif

is this true?

What..no Davinci Code??

Read it a couple of months back - a fair read, some cool research - coworker is reading "Angels and Demons" right now - says it's exactly the same plot - just substitute "Illuminati" for "Templars/Priory of Scion" (actually A&D was written before DaVinci)

If you want the whole 'Templar Plot' done well and with some literacy and humor, rather than just as an Oprah Bestseller, read Focaults Pendulum, by Umberto Eco.

is this true?

what, that WFF is actually Tom Robbins? don't know... like I said that's what i heard once. so have you read Fuck Yes!, Muffy? damn funny book, i recommend it to all.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0940183218/qid=1080333056/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-9643025-4683033?v=glance&s=books&n=507846