Fatality at City of Rocks

Thinker

Anybody have any more info on the fatality at City of Rocks on 5/27. Seattle climber Kim Espino suffered severe head injuries in a leader fall and died a short time later. Does anybody know which route she was on or if she was wearing a helmet?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This message was forwarded to me from a friend of mine yesterday:

Dear Climbing Friends,

This last weekend a group of friends of mine were out for a fun weekend at City of Rocks. They had had a great weekend of climbing. Yesterday morning, their last day of climbing, one of those friends took a long leader fall,turned upside down on her fall and hit her head. She was not wearing a helmet and she subsequently died. She was climbing what would be considered an easy sport route, it was run out at the top and she was almost at the anchors when she fell. When accidents like this happens, it reminds me of

how dangerous climbing really is. It also reminds me how little things can do so much. Please, next time you are climbing, don't forget to wear your helmet. It could mean the difference between life and death. Also, please

remind your friends about this next time you are climbing.

quote:

Originally posted by climberbro16:

Thats in Idaho right? My freind says there is a City of Rocks in New MExico also.

The City of Rocks in NM is in the southwest part of the state, and features some bouldering. The closest town is probably Silver City (named for the hair color of most of its residents?).

City of Rocks, ID, is a National Reserve noteworthy for its great rock and historical value (it was on a popular varation of the Oregon Trail). More than bouldering in Idaho's City of Rocks.