Mirror

Rich_Sheffield

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also, if you ask two people facing each other to point which way is up, they'll point in the same direction, but if you ask them to point right, it will be different directions. The concept of left and right is perspective based, while up and down is universal. Unless it's Muffy, who will point "write".

Check out The Left Hand of the Electron, by Isaac Asimov

yeah i heard this ... what would you call it, sort of a koan i guess... many many years ago. stumped me for a while. then little by little came to some conclusions:

first of all, it has to do with perspective. turn your head sideways and the mirror will reverse "up" and "down" as well, dummy!! yellaf.gif

no but seriously tho... it really has to do with the fact that we're all more or less symmetrical in the left-right orientation but not so in the up/down orientation ... and if you think about it, *that* is cuz we evolved with this funny thing called Gravity which made it so that our "up part", the head, had to evolve differently from our "down part", the feet. and also, because of gravity, we always (usually) have our heads pointing "up".

so because of all of this, we've grown to think of left and right as being more "flexible" or "changeable" than up/down. (ever meet a dyslexic person who confused their ups & downs??) cantfocus.gif so basically.. when you're looking in the mirror and the bozo staring back at you is holding his/her beer in their LEFT hand and you're holding your beer in your RIGHT, don't fret ... it's just gravity playing tricks on yer mind. hahaha.gif

OK, enuf psycho-babble for a wednesday morning.

I had an interview yesterday where one of the questions was to write a function in unmanaged C++ that would take an image within another image and flip it horizontally, vertically, or both, given a pointer to memory, height, width and Rectagle parameters. After that, contemplating mirrors makes me madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

side note about symmetricality... it's actually not really true that we're all symmetrical in the left-right.

didja know that with each and every one of us, for *every* body part we have two of (eyes, ears, breasts, hands, etc) one is always gonna be larger than the other. always(!) ... even if it's barely or not even noticable. pretty cool, huh??

wazzup.gif

side note about symmetricality... it's actually not really true that we're all symmetrical in the left-right.

didja know that with each and every one of us, for *every* body part we have two of (eyes, ears, breasts, hands, etc) one is always gonna be larger than the other. always(!) ... even if it's barely or not even noticable. pretty cool, huh??

wazzup.gif

Isn't saying that a difference is "not even noticable" the same as saying that two things are "identical"?

wazzup.gif

Isn't saying that a difference is "not even noticable" the same as saying that two things are "identical"?

silly human!

Wow! All the brain power going into figure out how mirrors work astounds me.

Maybe you'all can tackle the wheel next. How does a wheel go around and around without running over itself?

And then, FIRE! How DOES a fire sustain itself as it burns the logs in your fireplace? Why doesn't it blow itself out?

If you get those worked out, try your hand at string theory, though that skips a millenium of scientific knowledge.

I want an " A " too!...

From my PM archives:

Paul:

"What's the name of that condition whereby a person's internal organs are reversed?"

Norman Clyde:

"It's called Situs Inversus. Strangely enough, it is present only in individuals who have an inborn defect of ciliary function. The cross section of the shaft of each little cilium lacks the extra arm that allows for the propelling function. It is theorized that something about this ciliary function operates in determining orientation of internal organs in the person's bodily space. The syndrome of lacking the ciliary function is called Kartagener's syndrome. (I haven't looked in a book yet, this is all from first year of med school, so I'm pretty pleased at my recall so far.) The most interesting detail about this syndrome, in my opinion, is the fact that only 50 per cent of the people with it have situs inversus-- because, of course, without the orienting function, there is a 50-50 chance of the organs ending up in either orientation, so half of all cases have their organs on the usual side.

"One last detail: because the lack of ciliary function renders spermatozoa immotile, males with this condition are infertile.

"The one detail I can't recall is how frequently this condition is seen. I know it's very rare. I'll see if I can find the prevalence in a book somewhere."

ANYBODY KNOW ANYONE WITH THIS SYNDROME??