Via Ferrata Routes in the Dolomites????

pc

I'm heading to Montebelluna Italy and was wondering if anyone has any info about Via Ferrata routes in the area. I have seen about 5 books on the subject, any suggestions on books??? Looking for any info I can get.

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where Montebelluna is, but you'll likely go through Bolzano or Cortina on the way there.

If you go into a bookstore in either town (the co-op in Cortina is a great place) you'll find Italian/German/English language books. I say that because often there is a whole book dedicated to just that valley, and you can't find it online. Be prepared to try and read an Italian or German guidebook instead!

I've done a few of them around the Groedner Pass and Piz Boe. The "Via Della Trincee" north of Monte Rosa has incredible views, well worth a visit.

For the harder ones, rock shoes make it more fun :-)

A cupla pics from the Col Rosa via ferrata, I ran up this before my wife woke up from a late night. I'd guess it is class 5.0.

Looking down on part of the route:

ldowncr.jpg

Looking down on beclouded Cortina:

valcortina.jpg

I surprised a herd of Ibex-like creatures. Euros don't start the mountain day until 9 am sharp, so it was very empty and beautiful. bigdrink.gif Wish I were going back this summer!

I used to live in Asolo, about 5 miles from Montebelluna. The nearest via ferrate are on Monte Grappa 10 mins away. I'm not sure that those are in any books, I got some beta from some local climbers, but you can go to the tabacco shop or local bookstore and buy tourist maps (carta turistica) that show hiking trails and via ferrata. There is one for Monte Grappa - Kompass Carta turistica #632 Bassano del Grappa - Monte Grappa.

If you want to drive a couple of hours to the Dolomites there are tons. I had a british climbing book by Ron James - Select Climbs or something like that, but once my Italian was good enough I used an Italian book most of the time.

There is also a great little limestone sport area right up the road from Montebelluna - it is called Val de Schievenin, it is in or very near the town of Pederobba.

Thanks for the info. I'm super excited to get out over to Italy. I have about 4 days to see as much as possible around Montebelluna, after my work requirments. I do have access to a car so I might make the drive to some better areas. Keep the info comming, if anyone else has any.

Thanks again mvs and jlamo..........

Cheers I will drink a liter for the cc.com crowd....bigdrink.gif......

In addition to Via Ferrata, you can do lots of sport climbing in the area. Take the teleferique up to the Cinque Torre for a full day of fun climbing. Well, this supposes you have a partner and it sounds like you might not.

The Via Ferrata book I have is in French, but I don't think you can go wrong with any English language guide. It's not like new routes get put up.

When are you going? In my book, routes are not listed as in-season until July. That's the earliest I have been to the area, and I've seen snow. Also, the lifts probably won't be running in between ski and hiking season.

Another option is to hire a guide in Cortina. It's not terribly expensive, and if you're looking to climb something, but you're alone, this is an easy and fast way to do it. If you're a competent climber, most guides will be happy about that because it's more fun for them, too.

Have fun!

For guides, look for British Publications. I spent 2 weeks in the Dolomites about 4-5 years ago and did quite a few amazing Via Ferratas. They range from very easy to very difficult, but if you are a climber the very difficults are just low 5th class. Technically you should have the proper device made by Petzl that will absorb shock in the event of a fall, but I just used my confidence, one sling and a locking biner.

I think the Via Ferrattas rock! I went out in a blizzard with my walkman, greatful dead tape and did one from the door step at Cinque Torre. I also did a few more on Toffana de Roses, The west ridge of the Marmolada and another one near the Tre Cima's. They are maintained by the Italian Alpine club and originated by following routes and tunnels built by the military in WWI and WWII. Bring a headlamp! You can cover huge amounts of vert in one day with multiple people in your party and you'll meet folks from age 8 to 80. I did a slide show for a wilderness group over here on the Olympic Penninsula and would be happy to do another for a group in Seattle if a bunch expressed interest in knowing more about it. I have maps too.

The movie Cliffhanger is the easiest way to see what kind of terrain you can experience. Those ladders and bridges they rip out or blow up were real Via Ferratas and probably just needed replacement.

Just don't be on a ladder during a lighning storm! ouch!