Route and Lodging Suggestions?

mdidriksen

Looking for route and lodging suggestions around Rainier.

I will be in Seattle on business some time in early to mid-April, and plan on staying around for a few days afterwards to have some fun. I have climbed in the North Cascades before, so this time I’d like to spend some time exploring Rainier. I would be psyched to try and get together with someone for a summit attempt, but due to work constraints I probably won’t know exactly when I would be free until maybe 48 hours beforehand. Obviously, this presents planning problems, so I am proceeding on the assumption that I’ll be going it alone. So, I am interested in suggestions for solo stuff around Rainier. Among other things, I had in mind skiing the Muir snowfields and/or something in the Tatoosh range. Given that I’ll be solo, it will have to be something with limited objective hazard.

Also, any suggestions on places to stay down around Rainier?

Thanks in advance,

MD

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be at least one cheap hotel in Packwood, maybe even Ashford. But, WTF, if you're on business and the Company's springin' for it, stay at the Paradise lodge! Can't beat the approach drive! yellaf.gif

anything in the Tatoosh is good. Think about doing a hat trick across Unicorn, Pinnacle, and WTF is the name of the third peak (Castle???).

If there is a cold snap while you are in town, and depending on what kind of terrain you like to solo, Pinnacle Peak could be a nice spring climb. It is class 3 by the south face, and class 4-5 by the north ridge. It think there is also a route from the Castle-Pinnacle col (class 4 maybe?).

There are tons of summits in Mount Rainier National Park. Check out Beckey's Cascade Alpine Guide. Some of the more notable Tatoosh peaks are: Unicorn Peak, The Castle, Lane Peak, Pinnacle Peak. Also Mount Wow and Mount Tumtum are in the area, and are reputed to have lots of mountain goats.

Another vote for Unicorn.... but check the road conditions. Last year we climbed late May and the Steven's Canyon road had only opened a day before we went in. Without access to Steven's Canyon road, you are looking for an approach that is 12-15 miles. If it stops snowing now, you might get lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MD

Don't let the 48-hour thing stop you from trying to partner up. That's about the max lead time that the weather & conditions will give you in April anyway.

Try posting again when you get into town; you may latch onto a team & good weather at the same time!

Good luck.

B.D.S.