Name Dropping Poseur Photo

jja

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlpineK - I have to agree, Jim Bridwell's slide show wasn't the best, but he pictures were real climbing shots. Scott Burkes was pretty bad as well, but he made up for it with enthusiasm and some good pictures. He's a real nice guy, maybe crazy, but nice.

Give JJA a break. He is just being good natured like always.

Furthermore, taking shots at folks on the internet is bad style. Why flip shit to a climber when they are just trying to make money to do what they love? All the playa haters STFU!

Yet another climber not up to Mr. Doo's exacting standards... cry.gif

Next!!

yellowsleep.gif

Leading WI1 in full goretex while your partner video tapes you is not up to my standards. And jugging fixed lines that a shepra or another climber placed the day before is not climbing, it's jugging fixed lines. Let me know when she actually climbs an 8000m peak, instead of jugging fixed lines set by sherpas or other climbers to the summit of an 8000m peak.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

You're really up to speed on her and her climbing experience and abilities aren't you? wazzup.gif

She Did Shisapangma "alpine style" (to the true summit) with no porters past basecamp, no fixed lines, no moving camps in something like a few days. I can't recall exactly. It was just her and Fowler.

I know she herself fixed lines on GII and K2. Dude, you are so funny. You don't know shit about her. Why do you make such simple-Simon-assumptions about someone you don't know.

Maybe she was doing an instructional video for children? Who knows? wazzup.gif CB does a LOT of work with kids and schools. She is regularly involved with helping "Room To Read" raise money for children in Nepal so that they can go to school and learn. She does promos for them. Sorry this isn't up to YOUR standards. yellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifyellaf.gif Maybe it was a promo for M2? Get over it. blush.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Anyway...I've known Christine fairly well for 8 years. She has always been shy around the camera. Many around her push her into the spotlight and she is smart enough to realize that it can help her climbing and others, so she does it but I does so reluctantly. Its not her thing. Many climbers are like this, and that’s cool. Just because a climber is well known or is featured in R&I or something doesn't mean they are a poser.

DRU: Come on bro, you know she's not my girlfriend. smirk.gif Just kidding.

I'll have to weigh in with my own CB story - I was climbing with an acquaintence at Smith a few years back - he had just moved into town, and was looking for a marketing job in the outdoor industry. Anyway - we're switching leads for the 2nd pitch of Tammy Bakker's Face when Chris and her husband/partner (RIP) lead up to the ledge. This was soon after they had bought MM, so my partner starts talking shop with them about the industry - long story short, by the time I lowered back to the ledge, he had a job interview set up for the following Monday, and ended up working for them for a couple of years. Politics aside, and I know that he had a few sketch stories about how trips were guided, etc., it was one of those cool moments of serendipity in the sport when something totally random falls in place and people connect -

BTW, I couldn't care less what she's climbed, I am only pointing out what I saw, take it for what it's worth.

Hmmmm...I thought you said:

Let me know when she actually climbs an 8000m peak, instead of jugging fixed lines set by sherpas or other climbers to the summit of an 8000m peak.

Hmmmmm....

Glacier: I remember that well. Your friend is a good guy cool.gif and was well liked despite ultimate differences. I think he is much better off where he is now, as far as work goes it has more room for a strong willed guy like him to make animpact on his work and those around him. thumbs_up.gif

wave.gif

the thing that gets me is that jja should be flamed more then anyone held in any caption....cuz in reality he was/is looking for spray on the topic.

for me who cares who climbs what, or what they do or what they think of themselves or think of others..it is a waste of time and energy to go on about it

so jja you are an idiot for attempting to create spray with a picture of some chick, who in book is a just another chick as i have never had any personal contact with her. so my opinion lacks the personal touch in which it therorhetically should offer.

Guide services are a fucking scam anyways. $250 a day? For what? So that some wannna be climber can glom onto another wannabe, who exploits the glommer to get payed to go climbing? $60,000 grand, and a guide service will drag your carcass up some 8000m peak, while the owner takes a run at another peak using the permit that you bought for them? It's a SCAM.

Guide services are a fucking scam anyways. $250 a day? For what? So that some wannna be climber can glom onto another wannabe, who exploits the glommer to get payed to go climbing? $60,000 grand, and a guide service will drag your carcass up some 8000m peak, while the owner takes a run at another peak using the permit that you bought for them? It's a SCAM.

So one wannabe gloms onto another wannabe? Sounds like you're saying that the guide is a wannabe just like the client? blush.gif

Who is getting scammed, the client? And please explain how an owner can take a run up another peak using the permit for the client's peak? Permits in most countries are for a particular peak. How does having a client(s) pay for the permit as a part of the cost of a climb for the client's peak allow the owner to climb another peak without a permit for the other peak? confused.gif

Do you have personal experience with this occuring? Where? What company?

And who is supposed to pay for the permit anyway? Isn't that a business cost? Hmmm....$250 a day....hmmmm. I wonder what the $250 a day is paying for...hmmm. Man, this guiding business must be a scam, making a lot of people rich. rolleyes.gif

Just curious about the scam. wave.gif

rod the scam within guiding stems from the abuse of public for private parties to make a profit and reduce the access for the general public to use it....this tend is continuing with the fee programs that industry and government are trying force down our throats. guides propagate this action.

EriK:

I can understand some concerns that many have. And to a certain degree, I agree. I also know that many here are troubled by guiding in certain areas: i.e. 8000 meter peaks. Again, I don't totally disagree and realize that many concerns are valid.

But Doolittle's rant is not realistic. The permit issue he raises is a BS misconception of how guiding and permitting works.