jja

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doolittle:

There is no Dumbness Award for this site, so you don't have to keep posting. Thank you. rolleyes.gif

I can just picture it now . MrDonothing peddling his commi made chinese bike slowly back to his high mountain cabin deep into the furthest draw of Deming after posting drivel on a TRS-80 computer at an old library using a fake library card rolleyes.gifyellaf.gifcry.gif

Here's an example Rod, where I think the client gets scammed:

A permit costs $15k + $5k per climber. 2 guides, 4 clients, total costs of $20k. The clients are footing 1/4 of the permit fee, or $5k each. Now add two independent teams of two who piggyback. Company charges them $5k each for a total of $20k thereby saving the indie teams $15k each. Permit fee has risen to $40k. The entire $40k is passed along to the original clients who don't know any better and have no idea what the permit costs or that they are being piggybacked. They're now paying $10k in permit fees each.

Prospective Client: "Why is it $60k for this trip?"

GuideCo: "Well, the permit fees alone come to $10k per client"

Will:

I get your point, but the reality is, most clients that have the money to shell out are USUALLY sharp enough to hang up the phone and call another guide service, and that is exactly what they do. VERY few actually pay full price on the large trips. The quoted and often passed around price of $60,000.00 is not a reality excpet in rare cases. hellno3d.gif

To say that the few times that this happens (if ever) makes all guiding a scam is BS.

But I understand your point. wave.gif

Hey Mattp, love the T. thumbs_up.gif

Bwana(client) pays darkie(sherpa) to carry crap(food/gear/satellite phone/laptop/espresso machine)into middle of nowhere(Baltoro) so that Bwana can shoot a zebra(climb an 8000m peak)and hang it's head on the wall(take pictures for corner office back at investment firm).

How did the Sherpa get from Nepal/Tibet to the Baltoro? I guess the client hired him as a guide.

You know what I think is a real scam? Taxis...I mean come on, drive yourself. yellaf.gif Think about it, if you can't drive and find you own parking you must suck. I mean come on. You know that Cabbie is getting rich off it too. I bet he drives around the block twice to run up the meter. And then the Cabbie says to the client: "wait here a minute while I go do something." And he is off doing something personal on the client's dime. hellno3d.gif That makes me mad.

When that client can drive himself, pay for his own gas, and then find his own parking and not rely on the immigrant cab driver I'll respect him. rolleyes.gif

yelrotflmao.gif