boot funk

letsroll

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get some of the alcohol based anti-nasty-hand stuff from the grocery store and put it on your feet before you hike and I'll bet your feet don't stink afterwards. I use the stuff and my feet smell like roses no matter how many days in the socks. it's amazing. Okay, truth be told I use the anti everything that we have in the operating room, but the active ingredient is still alchohol, but it has some stuff that make it's effects last longer. its fungi that make the smell. Maybe just a mild case, but sorry, that's the smelly smell. I didn't want to admit it for years, but now that it's gone, even a 12 hr shift in 2 day old socks can't make my feet smell....

it aint the boots. try lotrimin. or desenex. you got athletes foot. prolly other hygeine issues too.

It's called sweat. Your feet sweat - some more than others. Mine sweat alot, even in winter. Sunlight and fresh air help - don't stick boots directly away in the closet (or worse, the trunk)

Along the same lines...My inners for my Inverno boots are in desperate need of a cleansing. I'm assuming a soap and water treatment would be fine--- but bleach? I've emailed Scarpa and am waiting for a reply, any other suggestions?

good way to get rid of perma-stank in your gear is soaking the stuff in a baking soda bath; 1 Tbsp baking soda per gallon water. rinse thoroughly and/or put in wash afterwards. works wonders on my biking backpack & gloves.

(don't know what type of boots yer referring to tho; if they're full-leather i'd check with a boot shop first, make sure it's ok)

Scarpa's response regarding Inverno liners:

Justin,

Thanks for writing. I would suggest handwashing the liners with Woolite,

and drying thoroughly. Stuff newspaper into the liners, to help soak up the

moisture, and continue to do this until all the moisture has been soaked up.

If you have any shoe trees, use them to keep the liners from shrinking. I

hope that helps.

Cheers, Rob

Robert Kilkenny

Black Diamond Retail

2084 E 3900 S

Salt Lake City, UT 84124

801-278-5533

801-278-5544 (fax)

robertk@bdel.com

www.blackdiamondequipment.com

www.scarpa-us.com

www.biblertents.com

www.franklinclimbing.com

i'm telling you guys, use this stuff crac8619.jpg

no more smell.

anyways it isnt fungus that causes the smell for over 90% of people. just straight bacteria. the fungus is usually what gives you those gross toenails shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

but smell issues are predominantly bacterial.

• 2 weeks later...