[TR] Mt. St. Helens- Worm Flows 3/21/2004

iain

Climb: Mt. St. Helens-Worm Flows

Date of Climb: 3/21/2004

Trip Report:

Well the freezing level was through the roof but I didn't want to go "cragging" just yet, so it was off to Mt. St. Helens for some spring skiing. As much as I like powder, I love hanging out in a t-shirt taking off skins rather than huddling over my pack trying to pry them off with mittens in a howling snow storm. There was the usual parade of 2-cycle monsters in the parking lot, along with some serious tv watching going on in the mobile homes as pops was out on the steed. There is still great snow coverage to the parking lot on Swift Creek trail.

Here is what the current coverage on Helens looks like

coverage.jpg

The skin up was great, nice and warm. PNW spring skiing in full effect. Skins were glopping up just enough to set some fierce skin tracks, but not glopping up enough to slow you down. The top was quickly reached.

Spirit Lake and Rainier

summit_north.jpg

Mt. Adams is still holding a lot of white

summit_east.jpg

The ski down was very nice for the top 2000', but became rather slow farther down. No complaints here though.

Sometimes a high freezing level is just what you need to get you to enjoy a laid-back spring-like weekend in the mountains. Here's to spring skiing!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was there yesterday too, we were the large group of snowboarders. There was a little bit of new snow over an ice/slush crust. In most places there wasn't enough new snow (i.e. post 10-day cornbake) to make slides a concern. We only caused some minor sluff while traversing. Coverage is good, cornice jumps abound. Attached is a photo of our "snowpack analysis."

ps: Mt. St. Helens isn't in Oregon!!!

wazzup.gif

325101-BigCornice.jpg.7af871229974d16e4142ef972bc15f2c.jpg

Edited by ashw_justin