Mt. Marcus Baker

dylan_taylor

Anyone been up there?

Anyone have any info regarding the skiability of the Knik glacier side? We'd be traversing from the matanuska side, and descending the knik. Also, anyone have any info about the routefinding and glacier conditions of the upper Nelchina, Science glacer, and upper Harvard Glacier, and SE part of the Matanuska glacier?

Going in April.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to Marcus Baker, but I did climb a bunch of peaks on the other side of the fork of the Matanuska. We thought about making trying to cut over to MB from Turtle Flats, the big flat area where the Mat and the upper Harvard meet. There is a bunch of really cool climbing in that area, mostly long-day snow climbs. Tons of stuff that probably has never seen a human before. Further down the harvard, the dora keen range looked really cool, but that would have to wait for some other trip. We approached everything from the road, just to add to the big sense of adventure, but we did get airdrops from Mike Meeken air services. More details on Markus Baker are in the alaskan guidebook. If you want more details, or pictures (I have a ton) PM me. We went in July, actually the whole month of July, in 02. April would make the approach on skis much easier.