the need to own an altimeter and/or a GPS

mountaineer38

I tend to buy gear that I can't afford and don't really need. I'm outfitting myself for being able to start spending a week on a mountain (probably WA or CA volcanos), once a year (I live in Florida) until I get too old to climb. I figured I better buy an altimeter and maybe a GPS. Any suggestions a more experienced climber can offer? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well some GPS *have* an altimeter, but only the heavier/spendier ones which i personally wouldn't get.

yeh climbing volcanos or other big glacial peaks is probably the one & only outdoor sport, besides maybe sea kayaking, where GPS are worth their cost and weight, IMHO. for most stuff i like my map n' compass just fine. but i can imagine (and have heard personal accounts i think) about how GPS can be a life-saver in total whiteout conditions on a bigass glacier.

that being said, i've never been caught in a whiteout on the volcanos i've climbed and have had *many* more times in the wilderness wondering what my elevation was than i have wondering my x/y coordinates. so i too am undecided on whether to get an altimeter or GPS, though i do want to get one or the other soon. i can imagine that even an altimeter would help ya some in whiteout conditions.

if you go with the altimeter, you'll probably have to buy it out here tho... do they actually sell those in florida?? wink.gifgrin.gif

Check out the Garmin Geko 301. It's tiny and has a built in altimeter along with the normal gps functions. Make sure you can navigate without it, cause you never know when those little electronic gizmos are gonna get crunched in the pack or run out of battery in the cold, but it is pretty handy. Even if you don't end up navigating with it (which I rarely have to do), it is handy to keep track of how fast you're climbing and distances and stuff. Also it's kinda fun when you get back down to check it out on a map and figure out where exactly you were (especially if you don't summit).

Actually any GPS can give you highly accurate elevations solely by virtue of the GPS calculations, so long as you have locked enough satellites (5 or more, easy to get above treeline). You don't need to buy an expensive GPS just because it has a barometric altimeter. Sure, it is nice to have because it doesn't depend on the GPS signal, but it's not absolutely necessary. Case in point at the summit of Baker, my eTrex GPS (the most basic model, no altimeter) read exactly 10,778 feet elevation. It's always been accurate as long as I have at least 5 satellite signals.

Actually any GPS can give you highly accurate elevations solely by virtue of the GPS calculations, so long as you have locked enough satellites (5 or more, easy to get above treeline). You don't need to buy an expensive GPS just because it has a barometric altimeter.

oh, i see... didn't realize we were talking barometric altimeters. had always thot that the ones that had an "altimeter" (as shown on REI.com) just had the 5th-satellite capability. tongue.gifcantfocus.gif

i've used survey-grade GPS a whole bunch on the job, but haven't ever used any recreational models.

I keep thinking about the fact that you are only going to climb once a year. Most alpine climbers who climb all the time rarely "need" either an altimeter or a GPS. So my first thought is to recommend that you buy neither for that limited use. On the other hand, if you have to schedule that one week ahead of time, can't reschedule in case of bad weather, and want to climb regardless of the weather, having a GPS can definitely widen your safety margin in poor visibility, and allow you to climb when you otherwise might not. I definitely would not buy an altimeter if I only climbed one week of every year.

My altimiter was $15.00 brand new. It's one of those small ones you stick to the dash of your RV. It's actually not that bad, and is never far off from the digital ones.

However, I've only brought it along a few times.

I rarely ever bring a map or anything. Once though, a compass, map and altimeter saved me and a friend in heavy fog in the N. Cascades.

It's all personal preference. For me, if the weather looks questionable, if the route is complicated, or there is lots of schwack'in, I'll bring a map and compass.

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to be caught in a lot of white outs in the cascades. When I say "a lot" I really mean tons of them.

As of yet, I have not purchased a GPS. However, I do bring along a map and a compass and an altimiter most of the time. I always bring these items on the volcanos because this is where you can really get screwed if you don't know where you are.

I believe the biggest problem with the GPS is the battery life. A number of the GPS brands do burn batteries quickly -- especially when you turn the device on and off all the time. This is why I think an investment in a altimeter is a better investment initially...

If you're going to Washington Pass or the the Tooth, you probably don't need an altimeter.

Jason

Only once a year? Buy yourself a guide.

I second this sentiment. Pay a guide who knows the mountain you want to climb. No piece of technology you can put in your pocket can substitute for real expereince, not to mention the fact that a GPS won't pull you out of a cravass.

This is not intended as spray, only my opinion. I am not a guide, but I do have several climbing partners who work as guides and can recommend a few to you if you want.

Maximize the return on your investment. If you only have a week to climb, then get a professional to make sure you get the most out of your climbing experience.

Of course, using a GPS may limit your ability to involve yourself in epic situations, such as getting lost in a whiteout and relying on your map, compass, and strong belief in your own badassness to get you out.

Fully charged batteries are supposed to run the eTrex for 18 hours, but the life is way lower in cold temperatures. My GPS did still work in a couple of really cold situations though. I don't keep it on unless I am actively using it to move toward a waypoint or to take a bearing. On the way up I turn it on, set a waypoint, turn it off. I've never been forced to use it. To be honest I've used it more for sea kayaking than for climbing.

Learning to navigate with map and compass is esential, there is no excuse not to know how. But, with that said, those who deny the usefullness of a GPS (or even an altimiter) are just being stupid. If cost wasn't an issue, it would be ridiculous not to carry one when the weather good go bad.

yes, you can do everything you can with a GPS by simply knowing how to read a map and use a compass but the GPS is great for moving fast when you cant see shit. The ability to simply look at it and follow an arrow is pretty idiot-proof. The better GPSs with topo maps are amazing, I have used them to navigate to a specific location (small pass, col, etc.) in a whiteout.

As for battery life i Have a set of rechargable AAs that I use with it. My GPS will last an entire day of being on with one set. I generally dont have it on that long of course. I carry one extra set on most trips and I am always covered. Maybe its the geek factor but I often carry mine even during good weather just for the fun factor of tracking various things.

GPS is really cheap now, the Geckos start at like a $100 and they work great, and they are super small. It's actually kind of fun learning how to use a compass and maps, especially really high quality maps and navigating around just by those. I think it is an important skill no matter how archaeic it might be, never know when your GPS might unexpectantly die.