8 day Rainier trip sometime

mountaineer38

I am a mellow mountaineer stuck in Florida. Have spent a week (RMI Expedition Climb) on Rainier and soloed snowfield climb from Kleine Scheidegg, Switzerland up to the point on Eiger North Face where the climbing became technical and stopped there. I want to come back to Rainier, camp at Muir or higher several days, explore various routes. Love to climb, summit success secondary. I practice crevasse rescue, etc right here in FLA. Please help a new climber with ideas. Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't hook up with a partner for the entire trip, you might think about hanging out at Muir for three or four days and tag on to a team to summit from there. Then do the same at Schurman. It's done more frequently than you might think. Be prepared to ask good questions, especially at Muir, because it's accessible to too many nut cases. Also, give honest answers when a team asks you questions. That said, my experience doing it has been good -- two summits and several new friends made.

Be careful and have fun.

B.D.S.

I have considered exactly what you're recommending. Can you suggest any guide books (preferably with a few peaks in one book) that provide the detail I would need to make a decision? Thanks a lot.

David

Selected Climbs in the Cascades (vol I) or (vol II) by Nelson/Potterfield, Cascade Alpine Guide(s) by Fred Beckey.

Nelson I, 2nd Ed.

Nelson II

Check out and buy both Nelson books. For an 8 day trip you'll get PLENTY of ideas from these books. They are well written and provide good beta on routes, approaches, and how to get to the trailhead. thumbs_up.gif

Most people are shocked blush.gif when they come from back east and see the North Cascades. They just don't know and understand how many great peaks there are around the PNW. cantfocus.gif Get these books, read them over, then ask for opinions and advice here. You'll get plenty of feedback. bigdrink.gif

wave.gif