Black Diamond Rocks!!!

chris

Just wanted to share the cool experience I just finished with Black Diamond Customer Service. cool.gif

Earlier this season I bought a pair of ClipFix Skins. I was a little concerned when the tail system didn't quite fit over my boards - the ski's were a bit thicker than the clips were shaped. And you can imagine my frustration when they came loose on every tour, every time. Didn't matter if I loosend them up or tightened down. I even tried shaving the tail of my skis to lower the profile. madgo_ron.gif

After leading a group of friends up the Kendal Stump last weekend, I'd had enough, and I emailed the ski contact at the BD website and explained my complaint. I also mentioned the opinion that I've heard expressed here a lot - that BD sometimes puts products out on the market, and then fine tunes them later.

Thomas called me back at 9:30am (Utah time)on Monday morning to discuss things with me. It was a great telephone call. To make things short, Thomas said that a lot of BD's ski products - in particular some of the new binding designs - resulted from BD's purchase of a binding company. BD's impression at the time of sale was that the binding company had done their research and the products were ready for the market. BD was a little pissed when it turned out not to be the case, but it was too late. The company had already been bought, the products already shipped, and BD was just going to have to make it right. (This is really the short version - we talked for almost an hour). thumbs_up.gif

For me, per my request, BD is sending me a Glidelite tail kit to replace the ClipFix tails. Seemed like the right thing to ask for, since that's where the problem was. Garrett in BD Warranty called me on Wednesday to reconfirm my address. cool.gif

It was cool, and I'll buy these two beers next time I'm in SLC. bigdrink.gif

BD rocks - and a lot of their products are the best there is. rockband.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya - I've had overall good experiences with their gear - mostly rock stuff. Was passing through SLC on a road trip when I was in college. MET @ WWU so I was interested in their production techniques. They gave me and my techie friends a tour of their entire campus. Saw all their processes and testing rigs. A good company. Too bad they're in Utah, I'd try to get hired.

BD rockband.gif I agree.

I have a pair of Mira skis that I love. The edge broke, through, as far as I can tell, no fault of my own. No obvious damgae on the base nearby, or nicks in the edge, just a crack that I noticed one day.

Well, eventually the edge started to pull out, and the tech at the local shop said I should ask BD about it. They suggested I send it in, and as a resuly, there is a new pair of skis on it's way from SLC as I wrtie this fruit.gif

I have to wonder about the binding story that you got though... That sounds like it might be the story of the O2, but what about the SkyHoy, and how about the Pitbull before that???

For me, per my request, BD is sending me a Glidelite tail kit to replace the ClipFix tails.

This is funny, because the Glidelite skins were one of the products BD aquired when they bought Skye from Ted Ayliffe. As far as I know, the ClipFix system was BD's own in-house design.

I'd buy BD's story if you were talking about the original O2 tele binding, but not for the ClipFix skins.

I was a little concerned when the tail system didn't quite fit over my boards - the ski's were a bit thicker than the clips were shaped. And you can imagine my frustration when they came loose on every tour, every time. Didn't matter if I loosend them up or tightened down.

hmm ... i wonder if this the problem with my skins/skis. i can't get my clips to stay on either and i thought i wasn't getting the length right somehow. maybe i'll shoot them an email about it. just curious - what skis were you using?

they're not THAT bad, I've used both clipfix and STS and have not had this unbuckling issue with either. I too have used the standard skins and I agree with erik that they are pretty trustworthy, though if there is a lot of pollen in the air or on the ground the second attachment is nice. Also it is nice to have something to grab and rip at when I want to take my skins on and off w/o taking skis off with mitts on. yes I am really that lazy. clipfix works fine, just size 'em tight. the sts is better at adjusting to skin stretch. The clipfix works better when you want to jam your skis into the snow vertically to secure them. whatever, they all work just fine.

I agree, the clipfix setup is actually my preferred skin attachment system. Nice and secure once you get the length right, they'll stay on even if you glue starts giving up the fight. Easy to put on, very secure, and easy to take off with the skis still on, what more can you ask for?

The skins in question are the ClipFix, purple with metal tail system. Glidelite models feature a cow skin pattern and a similar tail system to G3. My new tail attachments came in the mail two days ago, and I'm psyched to try them out later this week!

one more photo

I did a similar system but was even lazier - instead of adding a hook, just looped it around the premade one on my freerides.

yeah, one of my friends did this on his freerides and it works great (easier to get off than my hook). I would have done the same if the Titanal 3's had the pre-made hook. I just wanted to avoid putting a bolt into my topsheet like what is suggested on wildsnow.com.