Need a new training hike...

Greg_W

Greg, Teneriffe via SW Ridge is a good choice. It's a little harder than Si due to steeper terrain and worse trail, but there is a trail. Last bit would have lingering snow. Ice axe might be handy up through a small rock band. Even your lame ass could do it in 3 hours if you hustle (it's about 3 miles and 3,900 ft of gain).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't just stick to hiking. Also use your mountainbike. Pushing that thing up logging roads is a great workout. Then coming down is a blast and it saves your knees.

Here are my suggestions for mountain biking on logging roads:

Bessemer

Roads north of Lake Hancock/South of Calligan Lake

west slopes of Rattlesnake

I saw a couple of Mt. Pilchuck recommendations. Drive a little further to my favorite, Mt. Dickerman. Awesome views. I was up there a few years ago, about 1/4 way up we see a trail runner on the way down. We exchange pleasantries and go about our ways. About 1/2 way up, we lose th trail. Lots of dead fall, and tons of footprints in the snowy trail. Fuckit, head up hill to the cliff band and traverse. This adds maybe a half hour or so to the trip. We finally meet up with the trail again, and start up the final push. About 500 vertical feet from the summit we se a trail runner coming down from the summit. As we get closer, we see it's the same guy we ran into down low. I'm impressed. We stop to chat and I say, "wow, have you really run this twice today?". He says, actually THREE shocked.gifshocked.gif Apparntly, he was training for the western states 100. Do the math, 3,800', 4.5 miles each way. Sumbitch ran a marathon w/12,000' gain & loss. And he didn't look knackered.

Just fill your pack with water jugs and bottles. It doesn't much matter what you hike, as long as you are gaining lots of elevation with a heavy pack. It will put a wupin' on your candy ass. pitty.gifAnd don't forget to have a cold six pack waiting in the truck.

bigdrink.gif