Vertical World allows ring on finger while climbing???

erden

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. I agree you should take off the ring and watch, but once you tell someone, you have done your part, its up to them if they want to listen or not, you need to let go of it, people have a choice it's there's to make right or wrong. I tell them what I see them doing unsafe and thats it, it's in there court. I don't think I'm allways right there's more than one way to do things.

"as a "woman" i would have to agree. i'm not attracted to a man with a ring ... unless it's an earring, toe ring, or a nice pair of nipple rings."

So sayeth Lawgoddess.

Law-girlie: We must circulate in VERY different worlds.

Good point about the wristwatch...take the dang deal off before you scratch the oh-my-heck out of it.

- Drunk Dwayner [big Drink][big Drink]

Umm....When I was climbing G.N.S. at Index one time, there was a guy climbing the top-out pitch on Narrow Arrow and had a necklace on. He decided since his head was the perfect size...Well, needless to say, look for the stains next time you are on the offwidth part.

How many times have you seen gumbies grab the bolts... Hmmmm...

Kind of reminds me of the 'girlfriends' out on sailboats trying to impress the 'guy' how cool they are with all their bangles in attendance. My aunt lost her ring finger. A good friend tore out an ear ring...

Maybe it is not the "same" as climbing, but ropes, cracks and bolts make for the potential of similar injuries...

I thought about climbing with my cool thumb ring once when I was just learning. Then I thought better of it. It has been in my chalk bag to remind me not to be an idiot ever since.

A friend and I were climbing the West Ridge of Stuart last June when a beachball-sized boulder shifted on to my partners ring finger... luckly this was two weeks prior to his break-up with his girlfriend and his was still wearing his mammoth ring. [laf]

Injuries: Just a little deformity... to the ring that is.

He was glad to have a piece of jewelry that day. [Moon]

-That overhang at the UW Rock has seen many injuries:

Another friend peeled off the overhang and got his arm beneath him, compound fracturing his radius. He stood up and walked across Montlake Blvd. to the UW Hospital to get treated. [hell no]

jewelry outside: bad?

jewelry inside: not so bad?

i had one little scare with a finger ring during a fall out of a hand crack and promptly removed it when i could. i've never had any problems with my ear, toe or navel rings while climbing, though - inside or out.

i did get some of my hair stuck in my belay device once while on rappel. that was a scary little lesson!

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

jewelry outside: bad?

jewelry inside: not so bad?

i had one little scare with a finger ring during a fall out of a hand crack and promptly removed it when i could. i've never had any problems with my ear, toe or navel rings while climbing, though - inside or out.

i did get some of my hair stuck in my belay device once while on rappel. that was a scary little lesson!

duzn't it hurt to have your toe pierced? [Wink]

I used to wear a cock ring all the time until that one day I tried to do a half-boner penis jam on Karate Crack and well.... let's just say that when I pee it goes 4 different ways. Can someone retrieve my member the next time their at Smith? Jon? You like touching my chub.....

[Eek!]

• 7 months later...

I learned my lesson about rings the hardway. In a non-climbing related athletic endeavor, I shattered my pinky knuckle in part b/c I hadn't taken off my ring. Had to get that the ring cut off and just about lost my finger. Don't do it! I can only barely bend that finger even after 2 surgeries! Take your rings off! And glare meanly at people who don't wink.gif

I don't get it: why does anyone care if a stranger climbs with a ring on? It's a personal choice. I'm sure any adult (a child is a different situation of course) knows that jewelry can be hazardous in athletics: it was drummed into our heads in every gym class and little league growing up. I wouldn't do it because I don't like the potential consequences, but if someone else wants to take that risk let them do it in peace.

I wouldn't tell a stranger not to solo a climb because they might fall and die, it's their choice to take that risk. I am sick of people giving little "tips" and warnings at the crags. If a knot is tied wrong, a rope is seriously abraded or a harness is partially undone then say something, otherwise shut up.

Recently someone cornered me at the base of a route and "warned" me that I would HAVE to wear tape gloves in order to climb the route. They looked at me with very disapproving eyes when I told them that I have never worn tape gloves and had no need for them that day.

Both the ring and the tape gloves are personal choices on minor safety issues and I don't see any reason for strangers to bring them up. I don't blame them for their attitude toward you Erden, especially since you brought it up twice.

I don't know what the general concensus is, but I certainly have an opinion...

I have learnt over the years to not say anything to people, unless I see a life threatening thing about to go down. This lesson has been drilled into me by thankless climbers who treat me like turd when I have tried to make suggestions.

Often I will just leave a crag rather than be around.

Example: I was climbing next to a pair, one who was obviously more experienced than the belayer, although not neccesarily smarter. She was about to head up the climb, when I saw that the belayer had put the rope through the belay device, but not through the biner. I politely pointed it out, and got back a very non grateful thank you. In fact, if I hadn't been listening, it might have been a F#$% you!

Chances are that nothing would have happened, as I'm sure the rope would have popped out pretty quick as soon as belayer tried to pull in slack, but who knows? People just don't like losing face when they are doing dangerous things.

You were right to have said something to those people SnoBoy, and it's a shame they chose to treat you badly. When a dangerous situation arises because of carelessness (rope not through biner, harness not double backed, etc.) it is proper for a stranger to speak up.

When it's a personal safety choice (free soloing, unclipping on a ledge, wearing cotton on an alpine climb, running out the gear, climbing with a ring on, not taping up) strangers have no business saying anything unless the people appear to really, truly not know any better.

I can never figure out why some people could be ungrateful for a suggestion that might have saved a life, but that's just the way people are. People hate the feeling of embarrassment.

This current direction of the thread might be a good topic for an entirely new thread on "neighborliness and safety at the crags", or some such.

Coming from the other side of the discussion, I remember the first time I went to Leavenworth to top rope on my own. I was at Roto Wall setting up an anchor. A grizzled old veteran happened to be watching me and said, "wouldn't it be better if you had two slings rather than one". Well, I had been taught to set up redundant anchors, but had somehow botched this one. I was so grateful, despite my embarrassment. I thanked him profusely. I'll always remember that incident.

I agree with North By Northwest, if some dumb fucker wants to wear a ring climbing finger cracks that's his choice. A stupid choice, but it's his to make. I've never warn tape gloves either; if someone told me I HAD to wear them on a certain climb I'd tell them to fuck off.

I ALWAYS take my ring off when rock-climbing on a real crag. At the gym,I might not. The plastic is less likely to scratch my ring than is real rock, and with all holds being of the crimping or groping variety, the likelihood of catching it on one of those holds is much less than on real rock where even if it is face climbing there are likely to be some holds with recesses into which to stick a finger. Also, my ring is tight enough on my finger that it can be hard to pull off so I might not bother in the gym.