Vertical World allows ring on finger while climbing???

erden

Well, here I was climbing at the Redmond VW last night. This lady was climbing with a ring on her middle finger.

I was next to her belayer, and told him that he should tell her to take the ring off when she comes down, cuz she may leave skin, or at worst a finger up there. He laughed, and when she came down, I observed no such effort on his part.

Then she proceeded to belay him. I told her the same, and she said "I have been climbing 20 years and had no problem ever." I said that I knew of people who now have four fingers on one hand because they got their ring caught while falling; and she went "lalalala"...

What's the general concensus on this?

The shame is the same lady would sue Vertical World if she actually did cut/lose her finger if something did catch !!!

Erden.

[ 05-23-2002, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: erden ]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ERDEN,

SHE IS OBVIOUSLY AN EXPERT WITH 20YRS EXPERIENCE.

I WOULD NEVER QUESTION STUPID PEOPLE LIKE THIS....THEY ALREADY KNOW IT ALL....OBVIOUSLY SHE DOESNT FALL ON THE 5.4 ROUTES THAT SHE CLIMBS....

THOUGH I AM LIKE YOU I HAVE SEEN THE MY FRIEND SKIN HIS FINGER WHEN FALLING.....AND THINK PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HEED THE ADVICE OBVIOUSLY HAVE EXTRA FINGERS TO SPARE....

While at the UofW in the early nineties, I saw a guy climbing at the practice rock with a ring on his finger. He was jambing his fingers in the little crack going over the roof. He fell, his fingered and ring stayed. Look for the blood stain next time you are there.

Funny, newbie here, I was using my ring to help me jam 'dem finger cracks just last month. Worked well until I though of the possibility of leaving it there with my middle finger if I peeled. I'm not real smart, but I learn fast. [Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by JRCO:

While at the UofW in the early nineties, I saw a guy climbing at the practice rock with a ring on his finger. He was jambing his fingers in the little crack going over the roof. He fell, his fingered and ring stayed. Look for the blood stain next time you are there.

Someone oughta bolt that crack.

Were you really there JRCO? I figured that was an urban legend. That didn't stop me from telling it to some guy as he was climbing it the other day. [big Grin]

I was at Snow Creek Wall back in the oughts and this guy was climbing Outer Space with a watch on. He fell and left his hand there !!! [Eek!] Look for the blood stain next time you're up there. [Wink]

[ 05-23-2002, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: chucK ]

quote:

Originally posted by erden:

Well, here I was climbing at the Redmond VW last night. This lady was climbing with a ring on her middle finger.

I was next to her belayer, and told him that he should tell her to take the ring off when she comes down, cuz she may leave skin, or at worst a finger up there. He laughed, and when she came down, I observed no such effort on his part.

Then she proceeded to belay him. I told her the same, and she said "I have been climbing 20 years and had no problem ever." I said that I knew of people who now have four fingers on one hand because they got their ring caught while falling; and she went "lalalala"...

What's the general concensus on this?

The shame is the same lady would sue Vertical World if she actually did cut/lose her finger if something did catch !!!

Erden.

Good question.

i seeyour point, and I often recomend that my students remove there rings. However, I never considered the rings dangerous to the climber, but the holds dangerous to the ring. Basicaly I did not want to hear someone complain that their 10,000$ engagement ring got scratched.

I suppose you have a legitimate concern, however, it would be almost imposible for the VW staff to police such a rule. The last thing people want is more rules...Its hard enough keeping them under the bouldering limit, and keeping their shirts on.

We consider risk management and saftey to be our number one concern, but I have never heard of any injury or complaint about problems caused by a ring. I don't think such a law suit would hold up in court.

Ever see a newbie stick one finger through a bolt?! [Eek!] oooowwwweeeee

Peoples' animosity to friendly safety advice when climbing is amazing sometimes. Yes, people can come across as nosey assholes when they give out advice, and you have to demonstrate some tact. If you see someone in another party tied in incorrectly or something, it is unfortunate that you have to debate whether you should point it out to them or not, whether the tongue-lashing is worth it or if they will say "cool, thanks a lot for looking out for us". Being a bit of a recluse, I don't like talking to anyone while climbing, nevermind someone telling me what to do. But even if the advice is from some gaper loudmouth mazama I grit my teeth, smile, and say cheers mate, I'll keep it in mind.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

But even if the advice is from some gaper loudmouth mazama I grit my teeth, smile, and say cheers mate, I'll keep it in mind.

Good advice iain. It sounds like this is exactly what went down in the original story.

Erden,

My opinion would be to fart and burp repetitively around people like that. Also cursing and being outright rude and obnoxious might help

Some tips-

spit on the ground

scratch your ass and then offer to shake her hand

stem over onto her route while she is climbing next to you

Offer lots of unwanted advice including how to belay and where to place feet and such

spill water from a water bottle on her shoes

talk about having sex with random women from bars in detail including anal [laf]

Then see who is annoyed hehe

I forgot to take my wedding ring off while climbing once. When I fell, in true gaper fashion [i feel so cool for being able to incorporate that word into my vocabulary] I grabbed the rope. The ring caught on the rope and cut my finger. It was fairly superficial with little bleeding as the friction cauterized the wound.

I take it off every time now.

Yeah, in the gym, its more likely to damage the ring than the ring finger - however, outside, I consider rings and jewerly a hazard.

If I'm trying to convince someone that the ring should come off, I use the opportunity to explain to a person what an avulsion is. That usually gets the ring off pretty quickly.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Erden,

My opinion would be to fart and burp repetitively around people like that. Also cursing and being outright rude and obnoxious might help

Some tips-

spit on the ground

Offer lots of unwanted advice including how to belay and where to place feet and such

talk about having sex with random women from bars in detail including anal
[laf]

NOW THAT IS SOME FAWKING CLASSIC CAVEMAN RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!

[laf][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][Cool][big Drink][laf]

quote:

Erden,

Some tips-

spit on the ground

talk about having sex with random women from bars in detail including anal
[laf]

LOL!!!!! Fuckena

Tell stories about some of the best Ds you've ever taken.

quote:

Yeah through the turd coming out of here
[Moon]

Tell her you are caveman that always helps. They will be disgusted right away
[Wazzup]

Better yet tell her you are Beckey or Big Lou. [Wink]

"Better yet tell her you are Beckey or Big Lou."

Hey Dru...have some respect...2002 is THE YEAR OF BIG LOU...and we still have several more months to go. Rumor has it that there is a proposal on the agenda for early next year to declare this to be THE BIG LOU DECADE.

If you climb with your wedding ring on, you will eventually scratch or damage the ring and possibly hurt yourself. Besides, men in the know are aware that a wedding ring actually attracts girls, and this is a sure way to end up in the dog-house and/or complicate your climbing "career".

Anybody ask BIG LOU'S opinion on this?

- Dwayner

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, BIG LOU season just started and it typically continues into October, at which time sightings of our favorite gregarious alpine giant are common.

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Son of Caveman:

[QB]Dwayner, I think you are sorely mistaken about a woman's attraction to a man with a ring./QB]

as a "woman" i would have to agree. i'm not attracted to a man with a ring ... unless it's an earring, toe ring, or a nice pair of nipple rings.