Ankle sprain

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I sprained an ankle I got on a PT regimen of taping to support/tighten up the stretched ligaments, and balance excercizes to strengthen the joint and improve the proprioception to prevent overcompensatio and further injury. I'd suggest getting a referral for PT and going that route.

i sprained my ankle bad in 2001 about a month before going to patagonia, i went to the pt and was religious about doing the exercises. i went on my trip and had no problems carrying large packs over talus fields in the rain. wink.gif

mostly, they had me use a piece of surgical tubing tied off to a solid object to push and pull against, forward, back and sideways, the idea being to strengthen the muscles around the ankle (since you can't do much for the ligament in the short term). the other good exercise was to balance on the foot for up to 60 seconds. when this gets easy, close your eyes. finally, start turning your head from side to side, this removes all balance cues and really works out your ankle muscles.

Yeah, definitely work on balance and strengthening the muscles so you don't reinjure it. After I sprained mine, I did lots of standing on one foot (leaning forward/back/left/right), hopping on one foot, hopping back and forth and side to side, writing the alphabet, walking on heels and tiptoes.

I only needed to elevate and ice it for about a week, but I kept it wrapped for a month or so. I went back to bouldering in the gym in my hiking boots after three weeks.

Just make sure you give your ankle some kind of daily workout. Elevate and ice it a bit when it gets sore.

a month seems like a long time for the swelling to still be a problem. are you sure you didn't avulse or break anything???
I don't think I broke it...it's just a bit swollen. I've been skiing and climbing since the sprain so maybe I'm just aggrevating it and not letting the swelling go down.