[TR] Jefferson- Milk Creek 3/13/2004

bulldog

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry about that. I drove up on Friday the 12th with Luvshaker. We went up pamilia road. It had a lot of down trees and snow patches that I would assume would be gone by now (the snow patches) We moves most of the trees that we could, although there is a big one about a mile up that we were able to get my gas sucking SUV under after a few scratches and roof rack adjustments. We parked at 2666' and hiked the easy 4 miles to the milk creek ice flow. Stayed at about 4600' because we are not tough enough to go any higher. We woke at 3:00 and himed and hawed about how inadequate our helmet is to cover our tiny brains and that our nipples were to hard to climb such a huge route. After about 30 minutes up the firm drainage we climbed up the wall of the South west ridge. It was about 1200' at 40-45 deg. It was dark so you didn't get to see the impending pain. We made the ridge as the sun was comming up. After almost falling asleep hiking the manontany of this ridge we finally gained the Red Saddle and geared up for the big traverse. It looked scary. Luvshaker and I held eachother tight as we gazed accross the west face traverse. It was very solid and steep although I cried several times as I got hit in the head and shoulders with falling ice. It was about 8:00 as we crossed the face looking for a way to the top. We found what lookied to be a few ways to the top including this sweet ice shoot (see Picture) "icedro-tube" only to hit a thin headwall that given a few more weeks should be some great mixed climbing. I would say it is about 3/4 the way across facing west-north-west. I wanted to climb it but luvshaker didn't want to catch a fall with 24 points and two tools flailing around his face. So we backed down and headed around to the North. We were able to traverse up and back to the South and climb up through a rock and ice couloir just below the summit. The summit block was covered in junky ice not strong enough to hold your little sister. Luvshaker and I started haking away at the ice trying to make steps and an anchor to belay from. After about 15 minutes we went for it. Luvshaker activated his go-go-gadget- lightweight and gently stepped up as I waited to jump over the ridge if he fell. Of course we were laughing so hard because it was so fun thinking back at the ridge climb that was not fun, this made it well worth it. We made it to the top, carefully down climbed, came back accross the west face which had less ice and rock fall with the sun on it than earlier in the morning. We pretty much slid all the way back to camp, ate some rice and chicken and packed out to the environment-thrashing-go-anywhere- SUV. 14 hour day. Good thing I wore my jock.

I found out that on this trip (after noticing an absence of gloves on most of the climb) that the Bulldog dips his hands and feet regularly in ice water and holds them there until he can't feel anything.... "as training".

mmmmmm... frost bite... aaaaahhhhhh....