rec.climbing transplants?

chucK

(Thinker spoke of this on that other thread, but I don't want to dilute the hate over there.)

Rec.climbing is basically now dead. It is an interesting concept of where the addicted sprayers all got off to from there.

If you migrated here, anybody wanna divulge who you are/were?

Thinker, did you post on rec.climbing

I know Stinkwagen is here, as well as Sketchball, Cairns, Fern, Scott Presho and Rob Williams.

Anybody else? wave.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rec.climbing can be interesting sometimes but basically it suffers from being suck. the posters are either someone who has been online since 1981 and all know each other, or some utterly clueless nope.

My favorite r.climber is Batten. No one has trolled cc.com as successfully or for as long.

Guilty as charged. Slime and I were flaming away at one another for a couple weeks after the helicopter crash on Mt Hood. I hardly ever go there anymore, but Dingus still posts decent TRs from time to time. You wanna see a dead NG, check in on rec.skiing.backcoutry.

I think there was a mass migration to rc.com. It was pretty easy for the handful of regular chestbeaters to ride herd on the hapless n00bies at rec.climbing, but I wonder how they're managing with the horde of bible gymbies at rc.com.

I was a regular to rec.climbing until our more regionally oriented board fired up (thanks Jon and Timmy!). My very first foray into rec.climbing resulted in a sound schooling by Lord Slime. Over the years I met a few of the rec.climbers and am still very good friends with a couple.

I think its funny that Dru makes a criticism of rec.climbing as being a place where everyone knows each other. Um.. gee, that doesn't sound like cc.com at all. I really don't see that much of a difference between cc.com and rec.climbing. We've both got our long-standing flame wars, petulant squabbles and incessant whining about the good old days, moderation etc.

I basically stopped posting at rec.climbing because I have to access it via google and the lag time is atrocious.

I've lurked on wreckdot for the better part of eight years. There was a noticeable dropoff in traffic when the newbie hoardes over at RC.com started gaining in numbers and momentum. Like Thinker and some others, I only posted there infrequently over the years and never attempted to make posting there a pastime. I remember reading a lot of posts from Cairns, RBW and the others from usenet and even tried to climb with RBW a number of times (failed miserably due to school intrusion into climbing time). Nowadays, the more prolific posters have moved to RC.com and local boards like this one, leaving the infamous Batten a larger piece of the bandwidth pie. Wreckdot is a different place, doomed to be a public forum for members of the old group trying to catch up with each other from time to time.

Now I must go rope solo Tahquitz with my UCLA coeds.

Is the rock dry?

Please Advise.