Eugene - columns

sketchfest

I'm gonna be in Eugene this weekend to take my son to a climbing comp, while he's climbing I thought I might try and get some in myself.

How far is it to the columns from the Crux and is anybody thinking about climbing there on Saturday?

Oh and does anybody know/have a guide for that area?

Edited by sketchfest

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The columns is like 5 blocks from the crux. You can actually see them from the crux I think. It's pretty small so you'll be able to size up the cracks quickly. Everything is topropable (hike around to the top). My favs are fat crack 5.7-8 (the obvious wider crack), Limp Dick .10b (farthest to the right before the chainlink fence) and the chimney. It's a great place to take budding climbers, leaders, or just spend some time. If the weather's nice expect a crowd though.

I've led some of the cracks there with a set of BD hexs... you only really need to put in three or four peices based on the hieght of the climbs... I haven't led any thing at the columns in two years, the few times I have climb there since, where on self bely... I'll look to see what numbers of the hexs i used, it been awile and I have them rote down at home... maybe jkruegr, bunglehead, or Tex would have some insight on this...

cracked, are you sure limp dick is .11b? I think you might be thinking of satisfaction which feels more .11b-ish.
According to the Smith-hardman authored guidebook (I think Chris Jones wrote it, if I remember correctly), Limpdick is 11b and Satisfaction is 12a. I've led limpdick and almost toproped Satisfaction, so maybe you're right.

cracked, are you sure limp dick is .11b? I think you might be thinking of satisfaction which feels more .11b-ish.
According to the Smith-hardman authored guidebook (I think Chris Jones wrote it, if I remember correctly), Limpdick is 11b and Satisfaction is 12a. I've led limpdick and almost toproped Satisfaction, so maybe you're right.
limp dick is a very short .10b at best. I have toproped it clean.,there is no way in hell it is an .11

Hey I am gunna be out there with my kiddos and some friends at arround 10:30. I will be the noisy blonde with 2 kids grin.gif introduce yourself to me PLEASE cool.gif

We actually met once before at the smiffy luv-fest, but I'll prolly wander over about 11 once I get Craig checked in at the comp.

limp dick is a very short .10b at best. I have toproped it clean.,there is no way in hell it is an .11

Limpdick

**** 5.10b/c requires finger to hand jams using feet on immediate face.

Satisfaction is 11a if you use outside holds, but 12 if you jam the crack...

was stuck in my head so I had to look it up...

Hey I am gunna be out there with my kiddos and some friends at arround 10:30. I will be the noisy blonde with 2 kids grin.gif introduce yourself to me PLEASE cool.gif

We actually met once before at the smiffy luv-fest, but I'll prolly wander over about 11 once I get Craig checked in at the comp.

I met so many people that weekend I couldn't have picked myself out of a line up yelrotflmao.gif

I will see you tomorrow cool.gif

and thank you FEEJEE I knew I couldn't climb an .11 wink.gif