You might be a Washington gaper if . . .

Trillium

-If you include song lyrics in an autosig.

-If you include song lyrics in a post!

-If you ever said Dan Larson sucks just because you thought you'd be cool.

-If you've ever started a thread on bolting ethics. ::cough:: ::cough::

-Having an absurd number of posts is a point of pride.

-If you use two or more words such as "bomber" "dyno" "totally" "pinkpoint" "monster jugs" in the same sentence.

-If you have ever hung out at places such as Spire Rock, Marymoore, or UW rock to impress others with your climbing ability.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the book "The Climb Up to Hell" by Jack Olsen, (an account of an unsuccessful climb and rescue on the North Face of the Eiger) it refers to the many tourists and town's folk who make sport of "Gaping" or "go outside to gape at" the climbers and rescuers on the wall through binoculars and telescopes.

Apartantly the sport of "Gaping" evolved out of the alps around the same time climbing evolved.

So, in a technical sense, a "gaper" would be different than a "poser" in that a "poser" would pretend to climb or imply that they climb where a "gaper" may just be happy to watch and not participate.

More coffee!

"My girlfriend works at the Tav- free food and drink for me and my homies!! Did you try my v12 sick phat dude I got a flapper where's my chock bucket no crizash pizad prana beanie boulder/ brick problem in the back corner? I've got 2 weeks left here in the 'burg and still haven't sent it.

--------------------

You might be a washington gaper if you are reading this........

AND understand it . .

You might be highly worried if this kind of wigger, ebonics spewing white kid is climbing at a California crag near you. Hey bud, the word abvout the tav is that it's a dick farm. what kinda "girl" you werkin...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rub-her-box: Do I know you, or have I ever done anything to you? I doubt it. Being so close to the bay area I'd say you don't have much room to be talking about sausage factories. And speaking of you living near the bay area, what are you even doing on this site? Something lacking in your social life?

another important category to discuss is that of the "CHESTBEATER"

The chestbeater will parade around in front of others to draw as much attention to themselves and their accomplishments as possible (no matter how feeble). Some chestbeaters even post Trip Reports on the internet in hope of some recognition by their peers. Chestbeaters are aggressive and passionate about whatever they deem important so caution should be excersiced when the aggresive Chestbeater is encountered.

Peers of the chestbeater also include the "gaper" and the "poser" the latter being sometimes difficult to distinguish from the chestbeater.

One method to determine if you are dealing with a chestbeater or poser would be to announce they are full of shit in front of some hotties that are admiring the suspect's bravado. Be prepared (or armed) as the chestbeater will physically attack [Mad] you without hesitation while the poser will sneak off into the shadows to lick his wounds.

An alternate and safer method would be to search for Trip Reports on the internet. The chestbeater will have very detailed blow by blow accounts of each and every climb, no matter how boring they seem. The Poser may have none or very ambigious trip reports, ie: we went to leavenworth, I did this, we looked at that. The Poser tends to fall short of claiming to climb something, just lets others assume they are a climber by association or by being in the proximity of some climing area.

quote:

Originally posted by MysticNacho:

-If you include song lyrics in an autosig.

-If you include song lyrics in a post!

-If you ever said Dan Larson sucks just because you thought you'd be cool.

-If you've ever started a thread on bolting ethics. ::cough:: ::cough::

-Having an absurd number of posts is a point of pride.

-If you use two or more words such as "bomber" "dyno" "totally" "pinkpoint" "monster jugs" in the same sentence.

-If you have ever hung out at places such as Spire Rock, Marymoore, or UW rock to impress others with your climbing ability.

Tuna Taco,

I think you are a gaper. I saw you at the Feathers redpointing 5.10 [laf] this spring. Please click on autosig, recognize number of posts, know I say all pinkpoint totally and dyno in all sentences in person. Know I may have started bolting threads. Said Dan Larson sux! And still my gaper fat ass probably sends more shit than you. You must be jealous or a loyal fan [Wazzup][chubit]

Then there is the "Johnny come lately" who emails you repeatedly to go climbing. After pulling off a few simple beginner crag climbs, mostly led by someone else, they will self proclaim themselves some sort of guru and begin postulating from a throne they crowned themselves on. People who spend one season climbing crag rock climbs usually develop this attitude.

Despite having no obvious talent or personal climbing record to speak of they will act up on chatboards. They will thinly disguise their words in a feeble attempt to raise themselves up. The "Johnny come lately" usually has no idea what they are talking about whatsoever.

Gapers, Posers and Chestbeaters typically shun JCL's as upstarts rarely worthy of attention. Especially when they start acting up...