Avalanche Forecast Use Survey

gapertimmy

AVALANCHE FORECAST USE SURVEY

This short survey is being used to gather data about how often backcountry travelers use avalanche forecast services before taking trips into the Cascades of Washington and Oregon. Please read the questions carefully and post your answers in a reply.

I had to shorten some of the questions, and used NWAC to replace Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center.

Tim

[ 05-22-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: gapertimmy ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well conditions were particularly hazardous the other weekend when the freezing level skyrocketed up to 10 grand for the first time, and I witnessed an excessive amount of slide activity. Obviously, it's not too difficult to know when the hazards exist in spring, but there was no report given. They have an enormous budget compared to other forecast centers, so I would think an extension into the climbing season would be a good decision. The Mazamas would have appreciated it, for instance. This was the exact time of the last OR climbing fatality (though they probably would have ignored ANY warning).

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Well conditions were particularly hazardous the other weekend when the freezing level skyrocketed up to 10 grand for the first time, and I witnessed an excessive amount of slide activity. Obviously, it's not too difficult to know when the hazards exist in spring, but there was no report given. They have an enormous budget compared to other forecast centers, so I would think an extension into the climbing season would be a good decision. The Mazamas would have appreciated it, for instance. This was the exact time of the last OR climbing fatality (though they probably would have ignored ANY warning).

http://www.seawfo.noaa.gov/products/archive/SABSEA.10

I'm assuming you're referring to the weekend of May 11 & 12

Hit the link to see the Warning they posted on May 8th