cascade river road

JoshK

Somebody posted a report on the condition and expected repairs a while back, right? Does anybody know when they plan on repairing the damage? Boston, midas, morning star, and probably more creeks up the road done seriously fucked up the road. The pictures were one thing but I didn't realize it was quite that bad. Are they going to wait until later in the spring to start working on that? I sure hope not...

Then again...maybe the damage (which could be easily bypassed with a bike) will keep the touron-fest away for a while... evils3d.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the North Cascades NP report "Summary of Storm Damage, 3/17"

Cascade River Road

The road was severely eroded at Boston Creek and sustained lesser damage at nearby Morning Star and Midas Creeks. A repair contract will be issued, and work may begin during July 2004 with completion in late August or September. While this work is underway it will be necessary to close the road at Eldorado Creek so that parked vehicles will not impede the passage of construction equipment. Walking the road beyond Eldorado Creek is permissible but anticipate that crossing Boston Creek could be difficult or impossible until repairs are in place.

Updates will be on http://www.nps.gov/noca/storm03/report.htm

I thought it was kind of cool that you could drive to the foot of Johannesburg, and look up at that monster of a face - that and Shuksan are just about the only alpine things you can see from the car in the North Cascades.

I'm sorry guys with all your bravado, but I don't agree at all. The temporary closure of that road is a temporary loss. If you wanted the same kind of "solitude," all you would ever have to do is to hike that same extra four or five miles, whether or not from that same parking lot.

Open your minds, and you'll see that there are other peaks in the Cascades besides Sahale and Forbidden. The drive up and smoke a cigarette people, or the day-hikers who make it to Cascade Pass only, deserve just as much of a North Cascades experience as you do.

Yes, and the best way to help get people into protecting these environments is through exposure. No not everyone is able-or willing to hump in 5 miles to see and appreciate these areas. We have it pretty good here, in my opinion, what we do have as easy access is limited, but just enough for others to enjoy.

I am not saying that I have any more right to be there than anyone else. It is a county/state road for crying out loud!I am just excited to have the place quiet and car free for awhile. I usually go there in the fall and it is nice to be able to drive up and have it to myself. A big reason I left the mountains west of Boulder Colorado was the traffic. It sucked! But I agree, if you want to lose 98% of the people, hike two or three miles...

thumbs_up.gif