dragontail

verticalturtle

Last year I did the loop hike from mtneer creek to snow creek parking lot because i could find no partner for a route. My companion was not in shape for a route due to injury and we had no gear. nevertheless when we got to Colchuck lake Saw what looked like a beautiful line of a mixed route going up the N face of dragontail between backbone and serpentine. Becky's guide only describes a route in this area in terms of an unpleasant sounding rock route, yet it was in shape as a beautiful mostly ice and snow route last year (when I ran back the next weekend weather sucked, then it got too warm)

I am wondering if anyone has any info on this as a route or any idea about conditions.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been two ice routes put up on the Northwest Face of Dragontail Peak.

The one to the right of Serpentine Arete was done by John Wasson and Tim Wilson in 1984. There is an extremely brief description of the route in the 1984 AAJ.

In 1988 Rob Cotter and Mark Bebie did a route to the left of Serpentine Arete. They finished their route on the right hand ice-filled corner of the Fin. They gave the route a rating of AI 3. A brief description of the route can be found in the 1989 AAJ.

If you go up there, let us know what you find.

Good Luck,

Jason

Thanks to all for the info. I appreciate any more, espciallly those involving route/road conditions. I want to go up soon but have some commitments this weekend. From what I saw last year looks accurate at WI 3, but it was long, mostly ice (which is prefered here), and could be thin. If there is any interest on an attempt in April feel free to drop a msg. There are few expirienced hungry alpinists here on the east side.