TR: Whitehorse Mountain, 3/14/2004

mvs

Wow, must be from avy accumulation. The last two years I have been up there and there is nothing for the first 1000 feet, and that was in april. My parents told me that once upon a time the winters were cold, so maybe that was the deal... :Pcry.gif

Here is a picture of the bottom of snow gulch. I have circled in red the general area to look. When we were there it was marked with some orange flagging. It isn't the easiest thing to find, and to call it a trail would be stretch, but it is a rough path through the brush that involves very little true bushwhacking.

2450Whitehorse_Snow_Gulch-med.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes, the winters were much colder here in the PNW as recently as the 70s and 80s than they are now

I've heard stories that sections of the north end of lake washington actually frozen for signifant amounts of time during the winters as late as the 1950s. Anybody know if that's true?

Also, those giant chunks of snow at the bottom of snow gulch used to be much bigger and form a pseudo-glacier-like-ice-chunk-thingy at the bottom. I guess something similar to the big four ice caves.