the scandal

erik

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't mess with Necro, he's really screwed up. He forces me to do horrible things in the mountains! If Colin wants to climb hard, he should first have to suffer an alpine climb with Necro first. Then he will be ripe for his initiation!

quote:

Originally posted by michael_layton:

...he's really screwed up. He forces me to do horrible things in the mountains!

One of those embarrassing bivies again, eh? [Moon] I don't need to hear about your late-night antics.

Necronomicon - an invented book mentioned by early 20th Century horror writer HP Lovecraft in his stories; credited to "The Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred" who was allegedly eaten by invisible demons in the streets of Cairo one day.

The book was then mentioned by lots of other horror writers as a tribute/homage to Lovecraft. Many readers apparently did not know that the book was a fake, and began looking for it in the 1960's in bookstores. By 1974 an enterprising science fiction author* had ghostwritten a version of the Necronomicon which was being sold as the real thing to credulous hippies. Any copies of the Necronomicon you may find out there today, say in your Goth teenager's bedroom, are about as authentic and accurate as his copy of the Satanic Bible... not at all.

In essence the Necronomicon is a trinket for stupid Goth wannabes, about like dreamcatchers and patchouli oil for hippies. It looks real good if you put a skull on it with a candle on top in front of your mirror with the bat winged frame and in front of your collection of black eyeliner you stole from your mom.

* believed to be Philip J. Farmer.

[Roll Eyes]

Oh Dru, how can you hold forth on the Necronomicon (book, not avatar) and not bring up the Evil Dead movies? (I, II, and Army of Darkness). These are some of the best Zombie movies of all time, excepting Dead Alive (Peter Jackson, better known for that hobbit movie) which is hands down the best Zombie film of all time.

So what you are saying is you saw Army of Darkness and missed the fact that the phrase Klaatu Niktu etc is a reference to Day The Earth Stood Still the same way you missed the fact that the Necronomicon is a HP Lovecraft reference?

Here is a good film for you to watch: Bad Taste by Peter Jackson of Hobbit Fame. You will like the fact that the alien fighters are called the Alien Invasion Defence Squad [note acronym] [laf] .