Accident at Broughtons yesterday, Info?

billcoe

A friend just told me of a climbing death at Broughtons yesterday (3-11-04). He didn't know much, just that it was a young fella who apparently died and was hanging on @30' of rope.

Does anybody know anything? I didn't see a thing in the news or on this site, but my searching capabilities are less than stellar.

Bill

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See the thread thread titled 'Close to Home'

This is what I posted there:

I was bouldering around up there when it happened. Here's the straight story.

I was a crag over from where the four guys were climbing. One climber was one top rope when he went limp and just fell on the rope. The belayer lowered him down and he wasn't breathing and had no pulse. Another guy bouldering next to me had WFR training and started CPR while one of the climbers used his cell to call for help. I went down to meet the paramedics and let them know what happened and where the guy was. According to each of the guys climbing with the guy who died, he just went limp on the rope... no fall or hitting of the head. It wasn't related to climbing unless somehow the exertion triggered something.

It's very unsettling to witness any medical emergency but I have to say I'm glad it wasn't a fall. It's nice to have people close that know how to respond in a medical emergency. We should all stay current with basic first aid and CPR. The guys buddies were really broken up and for lack of better words, completely wigged out. I wish them Peace. It's always tough to see people close to you taken away in a moment. Tough reminder how precious things are.

This was in today's Oregonian:

Arterial disease led to climber's death on bluffs in park

03/13/04

To his best friend, 30-year-old Beau Clark was "a luminescent man" who brought out the best in those around him.

Clark, a chef from Beaverton, died Thursday while rock climbing with three friends on the steep basalt cliffs of Broughton's Bluff at Lewis & Clark State Park in Troutdale.

The official cause of death was arteriosclerotic disease, which led to a heart attack, said Tom Chappelle of the Multnomah County medical examiner's office.

"It's beyond belief," said his best friend and climbing partner, Josh Tomi, 30, who attended Beaverton High School with Clark and has been his friend for 14 years. "Who has a heart attack at 30? We're climbers; we're healthy."

Clark, who took up the sport of rock climbing about 18 months ago, died shortly after making a moderately difficult move on one of the bluff's climbing routes.

Clark is survived by his 24-year-old wife, Shana Ann. Funeral is pending. -- Stuart Tomlinson

My condolences

Thanks for the skinny, Smoke. All that's left is the route? Three guys, climbing for 18 months, they're on 31 feet of top-rope ending on a ledge. I'm gonna guess it was Classic Crack. The first report said that he'd just finished the route and shouted, "Yeah!"

Whatta way to go.

I think it was the left most route on Red Wall - Arch de Triumph.

And yes, if you're going to go hopefully you're doing something you enjoy. One thing I've been thinking about in the last few days is that its very important that you spend your time (work and play) pursuing things you are passionate about. Few know when their time is up so you best not waste it working at things that have no meaning to you.