A question about "touching the void"

BassBird

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That part where the dude falls off the drop...why did'nt the other dude use an ice screw to hold the rope? then when the dude falls in the cravas, why did he not use a series of ice screws to get out? Can someone explain this too me? thanks.

ya and why didnt they just call out with a sat phone for help, or get a heli rescue confused.gif

Another question... In the movie, were Yates and Simpson climbing on double ropes, or twins? In the first few climbing scenes, it looked like they were on twin ropes. But later on, it looked like they were on doubles (they were alternating clipping the two ropes). Maybe my vision is just poor...

maybe they didnt clip them like the uiaa recommended manner in one of those shots shocked.gif

Otay, a real question: who did they get to do the axshun climbing shots. looks as if they actually were on Siula Grande, so how high did they go (did they summit?) Movie says the route is unrepeated, but didn't Buhler do a line thereabouts called "Avoiding the Touch" a few years back confused.gif

Otay, a real question: who did they get to do the axshun climbing shots. looks as if they actually were on Siula Grande, so how high did they go (did they summit?) Movie says the route is unrepeated, but didn't Buhler do a line thereabouts called "Avoiding the Touch" a few years back confused.gif

climbing a variation is not repeating the route and although 3 or 4 routes have now been climbed on the face, no one has repeated the simpson/yates. duh?

climbing a variation is not repeating the route and although 3 or 4 routes have now been climbed on the face, no one has repeated the simpson/yates. duh?

[duh]you didn't answer my question[/duh]

i answered your second question and no they did not repeat the route for the film. they climbed on other peaks nearby. just like in scream of stone, they don't really top out on cerro torre but on some lower peak with an ice mushroom in t del p nat park. duh!

Dru, you really have the condescending asshole act down lately. We should get together and bullshit at a bar sometime, I think together we could manage to talk an ungodly amount of shit. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Let him go, he just thinks he's gonna score huge on a FWA tomorrow, so he's all gunned up. Hehehe. Little does he realize how far he's gonna hafta ski cause the roads got more snow on it than he knows moon.gif Have fun!!!! (wheras I wil acutally be havin REAL FUN here:

40_FernThiassi.jpgwave.gif

Based on the article in the NYTimes when the movie came out, I believe that the majority of the climbing footage was filmed in the Alps somewhere and that a small portion of it was done in the Siula Grande area when the film crew and Simpson and Yates went back in.

Speaking about Jesus: Thats what kept him going...
Actually what struck me about Joe Simpson when reading the book was that he never once calls out for God's help or intervention. He accepts his fate as an agnostic and struggles for his own survival. Perhaps they expand a bit on spirituality in the film (I haven't seen it) but Joe Simpson is not a man of christ.

Andrew Denton: You said you didn't want to die alone. Did you have any sense of God?

Joe Simpson: My mother was Southern Irish, and I was brought up as a devout Catholic. In fact, at one point I thought I'd become a priest, but I'd have made an appalling priest anyway… At 16, I asked all these monks some serious questions and they didn't come up with the answers, and I just decided I didn't believe in God. And I always thought, you know, if everything hit the fan, then I might turn around and say, you know, a couple of Hail Marys, "Can you get me out of here?" And in all those days, I never did once, not even in the crevasse. I never thought of some God or some omniscient being that'd lean down and give me help, and I feel, actually, if I had believed that, I just would've stopped and waited for it, and I would've died. And so in a way, that's why that loneliness, I think, came in. I was 25, I was fit, strong, ambitious. I wanted to climb the world and I was dying. There was no afterlife, there's no paradise, there's no heaven. It's just dead. And I really didn't want to lose that. I've got immense respect for other people's religions, be it Christian or Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim. I just…I don't happen to have a belief, and I've tested that atheism, so, um, I respect my own lack of belief now. Before, I was never quite sure.